“Good, simple food”

Shapiro's Delicatessen
Ranked #10 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Minneapolis
“Good, simple food”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were told we should try Shapiro's so we did. If you're looking for a fancy place to eat, this isn't it. It is simple, clean and great for a low key place to eat. It probably gets busier for lunch but on a Tuesday evening, it was quite which was just fine.

We were instructed to try their dessert. So we ended up with just a half a sandwich and a dessert which was just the right amount. The chocolate cake was delicious!

If you're looking for a low key, in-expensive place to eat downtown, this is it.

Visited September 2013

INDIANAPOLIS, IN
“Average food, poor value, bleak atmosphere”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Shapiro's has been around forever and it definitely shows it's age. It looks kind of like a 50's greasy spoon cafeteria but not in a kitschy, cute way. The staff has a short attitude that implies you are bothering them by being there.
That said, I would forgive a lot if the food had been up to par. I had a small serving of coleslaw, a small scoop of chicken salad, and a slice of German Chocolate cake and my bill was $15 (the scoop of chicken salad being $7 itself). I have no problem paying $15 for a decent lunch but the coleslaw and chicken salad were unremarkable and not worth the price charged. The cake was the high point of the meal, though not a traditional German Chocolate cake since the cake was dark chocolate and I did not detect any nuts in the frosting. The flavor was good and moist and the frosting had pently of coconut. My sister had spaghetti and meatballs which she said she could make better at home. The sauce looked very watery. My nephew had a cheese sandwich that he didn't bother to finish but he did like his cheesecake. The hit of the meal for him was the soft drink machine that let you combine flavors. My brother-in-law had a beef sandwich that was piled high with meat and he was reasonably pleased. So I guess the morale of this story is to go with what a deli does best and stick with meat sandwiches and maybe a dessert. I know a lot of people love this place but I left wondering why.

• Visited August 2013
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
“Ok”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a mediocre experience here. I ordered the meatloaf and it was just ok. I would recommend sticking to the sandwiches as that is what they are known for. I did enjoy a nice piece of coconut cream pie.

Visited August 2013
cincinnati
“I'm sure it use to be good......but”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Been to shapiro's 3 times now since everyone keeps raving about it. Im just not "feeling the love" for this place. Seems to get worse each time we go. this last time was for breakfast. Place was completely understaffed. you get in the buffet line, and nobody waits on you. Finally, the gruff cashier tells you to order at the register and they'll bring it out to you. this does not make for a nice relaxing breakfast when every 5 minutes you've got someone running around screaming out what they're carrying on their trays. No number system, no coordination, no system whatsoever. I got the corn beef hash with eggs and toast. This can be a really good dish if prepared correctly with good fresh corn beef. My dish was no better than what i can get from a can. the toast was untoasted, the bagel was the wrong kind cause they ran out of what was ordered, and it was served with a frown. I'm sure at some point this place was something not to be missed in the area since it has such a following, but my experience has been average at best and i'll be looking elsewhere next time in indy. 3 strikes and your out at the ballgame.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank scott c
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Big Hearty YUM!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I LOVE Shapiro's and when I come to Indianapolis it is always on my "MUST" list. From the corned beef to the chicken salad and all the entrees in between, you just can't go wrong. The portions are more than generous, but you can order a half portion so don't let that stop you from tasting some of those large sandwiches. And I always have to get a latke with some applesauce, some macaroni and cheese and a piece of cake (TO GO, please, because I am stuffed from meal!)

Visited August 2013