“Unexpected In Indy”

Shapiro's Delicatessen
Ranked #19 of 2,453 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Deli
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Mile high sandwiches made from freshly carved meats and super fresh bread. Matzoh ball soup like grandma used to make. Smooth creamy and surprisingly light carrot cheesecake. All were outstanding. Not too crowded when we arrived at 11am but I net the joint is jumping a little later in the lunch hour. Off street parking too. Don't miss it!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I go to the Shapiro's in Carmel which doesn't have the "olden days" ambiance of the downtown location, however food is the same. The Carmel location is very comfortable and it's hard to beat their soups (vegetable - yum) with a slice of rye bread and pickel for lunch. Outside of NYC their reuben sandwhich is about as good as you'll find in the Midwest.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Located in Downtown Indianapolis. Their cheesecakes are to die for... along with their cornbeef sandwiches. They are huge and delicious when they are warm. The mac and cheese is very good, but you have to like the top of it burnt a little. Excellent deli food but a bit pricey. Worth the trip!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Awesome NY- NJ style sanwiches. Huge sandwiches!!, soups, salads, etc.
A bit pricey ($14 for a Pistrami sandwich) but the taste was superb. Makes you think you are in NYC or Brooklyn- at a real Jewish Deli.! A Must for Lunch-

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stuck on a layover at work about 1/2 mile away and this seemed to be the best bet for food from the hotel. I should have turned around when I saw the menu and the $13 price for a sandwich but it was worth it to try this place once. I won't be back. If you have been to numerous family sandwich establishments throughout the country, I know you will find this place to be overpriced and poor in quality. This peppered corned beef/pastrami meat was barely worth half the price, the rye bread was hard with the crust being nearly inedible and the service was cold. My order was with cheese and it was left out, possibly my fault if they didn't hear me, but still, I can't remember the last time someone made me a sandwich without cheese. I was there during the middle of the week between normal lunch and dinner hours, which means the place was dead. I left with a small $13 sandwich and felt duped. I figure the high prices have to do with their proximity to the NFL colts stadium. Fool me once, shame on you. It won't be twice.