“Female Chefs Rock”

Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: College
Transit: Public bus stop directly in front of Restaurant. Taxi available upon request.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had read a lot about R Bistro and decided to try for Devour Downtown. The food was delicious, wine reasonably priced, and service excellent. It is a small restaurant but has a nice, cozy atmosphere. Devour Downtown is a great way to try out new restaurants at a great price but even their regular menu was reasonable. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

No, the portions are not what most gluttonous Americans are used to at their local Applebees, but they don't have to be. Value does not come from mere quantity.

Local, whole ingredients (their provenances listed on the menu) treated lovingly and skillfully by a talented chef result in some of the finest dining you will find in Indianapolis. The menu changes weekly, is seasonal, and is well worth seeking out.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a gift certificate and after reading all of the reviews were excited to go. Overall a dissapointing experience. The pork was dry and tough. The corn salad nothing special. The coffee in the french press had not ben allowed to steep long enough and was weak. We also felt like we were hurried through. We just expected so much more- especially considering the prices. The wait staff was great however.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I started off with the scallop ceviche with fry bread. It was served in a martini glass. All the ingredients went well together and the fry bread was excellent. For the main course, I had the Arctic Char. It was the best prepared Char I have eaten. The skin was nice and crisp and the fish was not over cooked.

Service was very professional. The only complaint is the server stated that the chef had won three James Beard Awards. That is not true. She has been nominated three times but has not won. Still a great achievement but the server should be more accurate.

The dishes were very good but on the small side. For a normal eater, you will need all three courses. $10 for a few slices of heirloom tomatoes and green beans seems a little steep. The menu is very limited. Only one fish, one chicken, one meat, one vegetarian, and one comfort food dish on the main menu. Make sure you check out the menu on line first to make sure you like the menu that week. I look forward returning and trying some of the other dishes.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

If you are a foodie, have lots of disposable income, and are in love with the idea of "local" and "market fresh," you probably will like R Bistro. I did not dislike it, but I had trouble seeing what all the rage is and I felt the value was poor.

In short, R Bistro was pricey, portions were small, and frankly I was not really sure what the local farm-fresh ingredients were doing to create an epicurean experience. Additionally, part of R Bistro's schtick is to change the menu (and consequently the pricing) every week, which creates ongoing variety but also unpredictability. I had reviewed the menu online, but by the time we ate there, those offerings were history.

Service was okay. The ambiance is nice enough: maybe 15 tables, minimalist furniture, and exposed brick walls.

Excluding wine, my wife and I spent $71 with gratuity on two entrees and one teensy-weensy dessert. I had a trout dish which was good enough and she had a pork dish which I sampled and thought was very mundane.

I can't give R Bistro the same high marks that my friends do. I have had several truly wonderful, expensive meals in my time, but this was not one of them. Maybe it's my personal style and standards, but I am just not okay with spending that kind of money on a meal that is anywhere south of outstanding.

Hope this helps.