“Good but not great in my book”

Sangiovese Ristorante
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Castleton
Cross street: 82nd and Dean Road
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We dined her last Saturday night with friends. The service was quite good--attentive and friendly. The main courses were good, but a little mixed. I was not as fond of the lasagna as others who have raved in their reviews; it was fine, but I would get something else next time. My friend LOVED her pasta/shrimp dish but we both found the vinaigrette dressing on our side salad VERY salty. The bread that came for starters was disappointing compared w/ Bravo! or Maggiano's, for example. Overall: a good meal, but not a favorite.

1  Thank GoBoilers09

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Traveling through Indianapolis and found this place. Very authentic. Similiar dishes found while traveling in Sicily. Reasonable prices and great service. Outdoor seating overlooks the water.

1  Thank suzanne h
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Forget that this is in a strip mall, albeit in the upscale Clearwater area. Go for the very good, reasonably-priced food, the attentive service, and noise level that actually allows you to talk to your companions without shouting. The clincher is that if you want to dine on Friday or Saturday night, they take reservations, unlike the owners of an Italian restaurant in trendy SoBro whose Mama apparently taught them that it's ok to disrespect potential customers' time by refusing to let them make one. Our experience was also enhanced by the delicious dessert (on the house) my guest and I shared to celebrate her birthday.

1  Thank ThumbsupThumbsdown
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a date night with the wife on Saturday night and was very happy with our choice of Sangiovese's for dinner. I used Open Table for the reservations which is very quick and easy and was seated within 2 mins of walking in the door. The seating is a little tight but the candle light and person playing the piano make for a romantic atmosphere. I ordered the Lasagna, which for some reason wasn't printed on their newest menus, and it was outstanding. It is a very generous portion with half covered in red sauce and half with white. Also don't shy away from ordering wine by the glass as their wine glasses are rather large.

1  Thank DEW5245
Reviewed February 22, 2013

First time at Sangiovese, although we live quite close but just have never gone before. We met friends (their first time also) on a Saturday night. The food was certainly good, but for the price, the value is not great. Most disappointing (and why I decided to write a review) is that, when our waitress welcomed us and asked what we'd like to drink, my husband and I said just water, and she clearly was miffed that we weren't ordering drinks. She wouldn't make eye contact with us and smirked at us as if to say, "Well, fine!" Our friends had wine, and we ordered salads, entrees, and desserts. She was tipped well. Nonetheless, it was obvious to all four of us that our waitress wasn't happy two of us weren't drinking. While she warmed up a little during dinner, there was no excuse for her coolness.

1  Thank HomebodiesontheLoose