“Pretty yummy overall”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Castleton
Cross street: 82nd and Dean Road
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Loved the arrabiata sauce (perfect amt of spice!) but man, did they miss the mark on the risotto! We came here because they offer daily risotto. And the daily risotto of sausage, mushroom. And cheese sounded delectable. But it was so bad we couldn't even eat it! Oily, hard rice. Not creamy at all. So disappointed! But the pasta was perfectly al dente, the wine was delicious, our service was great, so all in all it was a good little spot. Great cozy atmosphere. Light piano music up in the front near the bar. Would come here again but would not chance the risotto again!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This restaurant has always been quite good but went through some staffing struggles - happy to say that lately have really been on their game. Food is always hot and good. Every night there are several featured specials and at least one of those always seems to sound worth trying. Suggest the salmon salad, the Penne a la Medici, or the spaghetti with a huge meatball on top. The wine list has something for everyone, from the inexpensive (Primitivo bottle only $28) to something as good as Cakebread Cabernet ($99). Servers are experienced and very good at what they are doing. Definitely suggest reservations on weekends!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I love Sangiovese. We have dined there numerous times in the past several years, and my twin sister and I have had two birthday dinner parties in a row at this restaurant, because the food is great and the staff take excellent care of us. It has a cozy feel and a great outdoor patio in the back. If you want Italian food in a restaurant that is not in a big, bland chain (which most of restaurants in this location seem to be), I recommend Sangiovese.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This locally owned restaurant is across the street from where I live and I have been there many times over 10 years. I also travel all over the world. It is my all-around preference for Italian in Indy considering the above mentioned critieria. I am not fond of going out to places with no atmosphere, crying kids, baseball hatted clients, paper napkins, etc.
Nearly every night there is some sort of live music in the bar...most good except would avoid kareoke or open mike night....Dining room option or outdoor overlooking the river in good weather also available. The menu offers the traditional Italian pastas, a risotto of the day, osso buca, a fish or two and several specials every day as well as some salads that serve as main dishes. Only once have I had a bad meal and usually find the service attentive and the drinks good.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We ate early (5pm) bc we had a senior citizen in the group. No other patrons came in until after 6 pm. I kid you not we watched them clean the same window 5 different times. Maybe they have to look busy for the boss but to see them do this so many times was a little crazy. Waiter was wonderful but again, we were the only patrons. Everyone enjoyed thier food but the childs portion was not enough for my 10 yo.