“Need to heat the food”

Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods
Ranked #1,556 of 2,346 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Description: Spicier than a Habanero pepper is our passion for great Mexican food. Despite having a deep love for the cuisine, simply cooking and eating it wasn't enough for us, and after becoming master chefs, all we wanted to do was share our food. Acapulco Joe's was established out of a desire to share. Since opening more than 50 years ago, we striven to bring the best of Mexican cuisine to all those who have been willing to try it. That's why we're Indianapolis' first Mexican Restaurant, we wanted to expose the north to the cuisine of the South. Within Mexican cuisine, we specialize in cuisine from the Western Coast. We're different from the average Mexican Restaurant, with everything from the way we prepare our food to the spices we source for authenticity. We invite you to come take that first bite and forget where in the world you are for a meal, let us take you on a culinary journey through Mexico.
Indiana
“Need to heat the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Very busy waitresses who do their best to accomodate. We had to send our food back to be heated and then it was very good. Mild sauce came when we asked for it and was great. Chips not that great.

Visited January 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Okay, but a far cry from the original Acapulco Joe's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The service is very good, and their promotions are excellent, but there are several better alternatives in Indianapolis for those who want Mexican food (even factoring in the fact that Mexican food in this market is likely to have a midwestern interpretation). Given Joe's position as an Indianapolis landmark, I would like to give a higher rating, but to do so I would have to see more: 1. spice in the dishes; 2. spice and texture in the bland, smooth salsa that comes in squirt bottles; 3. seafood options such as seafood enchiladas; 4. chopped, rather than finely ground beef; and 5. a little salad in their specialty combo dishes, which come with only a little lettuce on the included taco. I will continue to visit on occasion, at least in response to their specials, but it is no longer on my short list of Mexican restaurants in Indy. I don't expect their dishes to taste like those I have eaten in Mexico (or even while I lived in California), but I do expect more if I am to give a higher rating.

• Visited January 2013
Indianapolis
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Some of the best Mexican food I’ve had I n the area. That says a lot coming from a So. Cal Native. Everything tasted very fresh, flavorful and was served with a smile. Everyone was friendly and attentive to us. I would definitely return. Delicious!

• Visited December 2012
Indiana
“Hole in the wall, but so worth it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

When you walk in this place you might want to turn around and run but, it is some of the best Mexican food ever. Margaritta's to die for, Fried Ice Cream is the best ever!!!

Visited November 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Very Average Food in a Fun Environment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

As a life long resident of Indianapolis and a Mexican food fan I can't believe I had never visited before. I had some time between downtown meetings and decided to give it a try. I read several reviews and have to say the Terrible ones are closer to my experience than the Excellent ones. The service was great but the food was average beyond belief! I'm glad I came for the history and experience but won't be back.