“Excellent Dining Experience ”

St. Elmo Steak House
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Description: St. Elmo Steak House has been a landmark in downtown Indianapolis since 1902. It is the oldest Indianapolis steakhouse in its original location, and has earned a national reputation for its excellent steaks, seafood, chops and professional service.
Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

We were seated in the bar area where there was a lot of people and activity. The staff was very friendly, the food and drinks were excellent. My filet was prepared exactly as I ordered and was very tender and tasty. The potatoes and navy bean soup that accompanied the dinner were also very good. Overall a great dining experience. I would definitely like to come back again.

Date of visit: September 2019
GabiW268, Manager at St. Elmo Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Write a reviewReviews (3,619)

Reviewed September 13, 2019

Faced with decades of history in Indianapolis, and thousands of reviews, one more review is not going to make any difference to anyone. But my lady and I did have a great experience at St. Elmo's recently. It was her birthday, and she especially requested dinner here, and from the parking valets upon arrival, to the same group at departure 2 hours later, it was a great experience. The staff were cordial, welcoming, pleasant and helpful, and everything was done impeccably. The ambiance is comfortable, warmish and a bit dark, and some might term it romantic, but when the room fills up the noise level can be pretty high. They are renowned for their shrimp cocktail, slathered with house-made sauce heavy on the fresh horseradish. We eschewed the shrimp this time because, having had it previously, we knew it was too hot to be enjoyable for us. But no such issue with the steaks! There are lots of beef choices on the menu, but we both opted for filet mignon, embellished with bearnaise, and the steaks were perfection. A number of sides are offered...we chose baked spuds, which have a savory salted crust. These exceedingly well-prepared victuals, along with some good wine, made for a very satisfying birthday dinner. The creme brulee for dessert put it over the top. I don't have enough superlatives to do justice to St. Elmo's! Even to the birthday card on our table, signed by the entire staff!

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing to celebrate your wife's birthday with us! We are so delighted to hear how much the two of you enjoyed your dining experience. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2019

Cool early 20th century steakhouse with a great wait-staff and excellent ribeye and mushrooms. Lots of cool historical photos, and the architecture is maze-like creating the impression of a much smaller, more private dining experience. The whole place is pretty big, but it feels intimate.

Date of visit: April 2019

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit, especially the ribeye and mushrooms. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

I had never been to this restaurant before but my date suggested that we try it. I just figured it would be nothing different from any other steakhouse. I was completely wrong. While waiting to be seated, we both noticed two details about the restaurant. The first was the cozy feeling of the interior and secondly, the formally dressed waitstaff. After we were seated, we began looking through the menu. The menu had a nice selection of entrees and appetizers. They also have a large drink selection. We ordered drinks and decided to go with the Devour Indy special. This is a three course special. Our food was amazing and our service was terrific. We were even informed that they have the largest wine cellar in Midwest and are the oldest continually running business in the state. I never confirmed the information, I just took him for his word. I suppose the only drawback would be the prices. They are on the higher end, but remember the old adage, you get what you pay for. To us, it was worth every penny.

Date of visit: August 2019

Thank you for leaving your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit. You have a lot of options for an exceptional dining experience in Indy and we are honored you chose us. Cheers!

Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

Shrimp cocktail was great. Little too spicy but otherwise really great.After what seemed like forever finally my rack of lamb arrived. Very average presentation. Even thought I waited really long time it was totally raw. RAW!! (It was ordered medium). Not sure if they have new kitchen crew but sending such dish from kitchen to table is unacceptable. Chateaubriand sauce was way too overwhelming and overpowering. Then I waited for very long time for dessert. I ordered lemon cake. What a huge disappointment. Easily the worst lemon cake that I ever tasted. Center was good but edge - not a crust - was very bad, chewy - student in pastry school would get a solid F for that. So all in all - very average. Second time that food was very average. Service by Glen was also slightly above average. Will think twice before I give it another chance

2  Thank love2eat502
Richard E, General Manager at St. Elmo Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. While feedback such as this is not always what we hope to hear, it is a critical tool for us to improve our service. For giving us this opportunity, we thank you. I have taken note of your comments and will be sure to follow up with Glenn, our service and culinary management teams.
If you have any further details in regards to your visit, please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time. General Manager Richard Edwards at redwards@stelmos.com