“Best of the best”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Doesn't get any better than this. Rated world famous for a reason. Great atmosphere, historical, amazing bar atmosphere as well. Staff attentive to every detail. There is the best of the best an this is one of them. If in town you owe it to yourself to an amazing meal an superb staff. Even the valet parking is A+.

There are newer reviews for St. Elmo Steak House

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Our server was outstanding beyond words. He was friendly, courteous, helpful, and excellent in every way. I was a bit disappointed in the prime rib we ordered as I did not expect it to be a chunk cut off and cooked separately from the rest of the roast. It was tasty, but it was not what I anticipated. The sides we selected were very good, and complimentary dessert for the graduate in our party was a nice touch.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Remember what this place is about...for me it was steak. The restaurant is what you would expect from a place that has been around since 1902. It was classy and dignified. The service was fantastic. There is nothing better than a person that knows his business. Our server exuded such confidence in his product; I had no choice but to take his recommendation. The drinks were smooth and perfect. We both had fantastic dirty martinis. Now, on the focus side, they have a "World Famous Shrimp Cocktail". Shrimp is shrimp; anybody can get quality shrimp if they try hard enough. The overwhelming detractor for me was the overabundance of horseradish in the sauce. I tasted nothing but horseradish, and it was extremely overwhelming. The desserts looked fantastic, but I came here for steak, and if I still had room left for dessert, I would consider that letting myself down. The steak could possibly have been the best I ever had. I'm from Chicago and may have had a steak or two in my time, and this one ranks in the top 2, if not first. It was well worth the trip down, and I would do it again. But focus on the steak; don't let yourself get steered off track. Heck, the plain baked potato I had was even marvellous and I only had it for the carbs!

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the better dinners I've had in a while! The pork chops were amazing and some of the best I've ever eaten. Not to mention the quantity was amazing. I got 3 pork chops with my order and a double serving of mashed potatoes and apple sauce which I wasn't even expecting. We also ordered the shrimp cocktail which was very good and spicey because the sauce is loaded with horseradish. Thought $16.95 for a few jumbo shrimp was a bit expensive but fortunately I wasn't paying. The price for the pork chops was fair and service was very good, as was the atmosphere. We went later on a Sunday night and got right in without reservations but it was surprisingly crowded for that time. Definitely recommend dining here for a special occasion, work function or just want a very tasty meal.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Everyone in our large party loved their steaks. I had the pork chops. At a lot of places, pork chops end up as way too dry. Not here. Mine were moist and wonderful.
Two members of our group were celebrating birthdays and both got a free dessert. What a nice deal. And the prices, while reflecting a high-end restaurant, were really not out of line.
You definitely need a reservation here. Busy place but fun.