“St Elmo's - You gotta have the Shrimp Cocktail- One of Life's Greatest!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,394 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I met my son in Indianapolis and had bragged about how great the Shrimp cocktail was. (the horseradish is ground fresh daily for the sauce) I am not kidding- THIS BRINGS TEARS TO YOUR EYES AND WILL CLEAN OUT ANY SINUS PROBLEM YOU HAVE!- We had the waiter, Chuck and he was terrific and managed to upsell us on the Lobster Bisque- Excellent- and a "Special" bottle of Malbec- pricey but excellent- We each had small filets and finished with the blueberry, white chocolate bread pudding. The Big Ten tournament was in town, so you could see some sports luminaries and teams as well as the Public Library Association convention. Great Food! Very pricey- we dropped two bills with tip, but all in all a great time with my son and a memorable visit to this Legendary restaurant founded in 1902.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Dark lighting and wood paneling add to the ambiance. This is an old school restaurant with excellent steaks. We had a late reservation during the Big Ten Tournament. George and Edgar took great care of us. The service was personalized and professional. I had the shrimp cocktail because of recommendations from friends. It was great! The shrimp were large and the horseradish was so strong in the sauce that it cleared out your sinuses. I had the New York strip which was large and tender. They age their steaks for 4 weeks.
We then went to their lounge called the 1933 lounge which is on the second floor. It has a wood burning fireplace and has a wonderful
ambiance. They have a full range of whiskeys. All in all a first class experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a review of 1933 Lounge, which is above St. Elmo and is another part of the restaurant. You enter through a door which is just south of the main entrance. If you want to take the elevator instead of the stairs, there is yet a third entrance further south. 1933 is on the second floor. This lounge is wonderful! Named for the year Prohibition ended, it is themed as a speakeasy with appropriate décor and ambiance. There are several cozy seating areas, including the bar, a few tables, and some chairs and lounge furniture situated around the area for group seating. There was a band playing when we went, not overly loud though, and we could still carry on a conversation while listening to the music. The drinks are pricey, but not any more than the other "speakeasy" type bars that are around downtown Indy. I had a Manhattan made with the St. Elmo infusion: Maker's Mark bourbon with maraschino cherries and vanilla beans. They do serve a limited menu with appetizers and a couple of meal choices, including the famous St. Elmo shrimp cocktail. We opted for the calamari and it was an absolute delight! Best calamari I've ever had. 1933 Lounge closes at midnight.

2  Thank AudKat
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Very good food and excellent service. My only complaint was that we were seated in the basement however the restaurant is old and dark regardless where you sit. The restaurant is extremely busy and a little noisy but it was definitely was one of my better meals in Indianapolis. The shrimp cocktail is as good as it is famous. We all had the filet. Home it fries and wedge salad were all great. Can't comment on desserts as we were all too full I would have to say that capital grill is as good and has a better atmosphere.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

This is my first trip to Indy, so there may be better steak places around, but the service, ambience, and old-school menu made this a great treat. Came here on a colleagues recommendation and on a whim. Didn't think I'd get a seat as I'm dining alone but was seated right away. Got the shrimp cocktail. Not for the faint of heart but I finished it! Filet was amazing. Well done. Great experience overall!