“Delicious!!!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
“Delicious!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

If you are looking for good food and an old-fashioned vibe, this is the place to go. They are well known for their shrimp cocktail which is delicious. Be warned that the cocktail sauce has a lot of horseradish in it but you can always scrape the sauce off if you don't like it. The lobster mac and cheese was very good. I had a bite of my boyfriend's steak and that was very good as well. Our server was very attentive. It can get a little noisy but don't let that ruin a great dinner.

• Visited January 2014

“It's a classic....”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I went once, it was good. I think one can find other places that would rate better food wise and service wise.

• Visited September 2013
Indiana
“Over-Rated”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The "world famous" shrimp cocktail was very good but I was not impressed. It was my first visit so, perhaps I set my standards to high. The setting is fantastic and the menu is very exciting but if I can make it at my house in the ghetto of the near Eastside than I see no point. The staff was very nice and accommodating but the air of pretentiousness was palpable. Next time I'll just find a Ryan's steakhouse. They have better rolls.

1 Thank MClaytonCarson
Indianapolis, Indiana
“I don't eat at $$$$ restaurants often, but when I do....”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

You can't beat the old-fashioned downtown steakhouse atmosphere, and the steaks are very good, as is the shrimp cocktail (if you like your cocktail sauce chocked full of hot horseradish that will alleviate any sinus problems you might have). I would say there are other steak places that are a better value, but at those places you don't get the experience you get at St. Elmo's, either.

• Visited April 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Great expectations-good delivery on it!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife's boss gave her a gift card for St. Elmo and we decided to give them a try. We had never visited before. This is one of the city's high end $$$$ places to eat so our expectations were high. I must admit they delivered well. The shrimp cocktail was outstanding, super spicy, but super good as well. We both had their lobster mac & cheese which was not really to our liking, and steaks that were cooked perfectly. The steaks were large, tender, and full of great flavor. Our first experience at St. Elmo was a positive one.
The place was very loud, a little stuffy, and cost us the whole $200 gift card for the one meal but it was something to remember. I don't know if we will go back much due to the cost but they are worth a 5 star rating on their food.

• Visited December 2013