“Lived Up to the Hype...Delicious!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,365 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Lived Up to the Hype...Delicious!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited St. Elmo's on the first night of Devour Downtown. We were seated early, service was excellent and the food lived up to the hype. The shrimp cocktail sauce had just the right amount of kick (when eaten sparingly) and my medium rare filet came out perfectly. The wine list had nice variety in taste and price. Overall, we had a very positive experience and cannot wait to visit again!

Visited January 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Shrimp Cocktail”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had never heard of St. Elmo or visited and I was surprised to find this restaurant serves a shrimp cocktail in horseradish sauce that is wonderful. It was much different than the normal lackluster shrimp cocktails found at most restaurants. The shrimp were perfectly cooked and the sauce was so good that we ordered extra so that we could put it on our steaks !

• Visited December 2013
Brandon, Canada
“The Gold Standard for Food & Service!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This has been one of the more memorable meals I have ever had! The atmosphere is nostalgic and makes you wonder what some of the conversations over a great steak and cognac! The steak was done to absolute perfection. If you are looking for a great soup, try the lobster bisque, you will not be disappointed. For dessert we ordered the cheesecake, I have never seen such a huge slice and taste of a homemade cake, extraordinary! Before I forget about the St Elmo shrimp cocktail, the shrimp are huge, and the sauce is, how would you say it, "hot as hell!". But worth the attempt for what this fine establishment is known for. Waiter commented on how quick I ate it, I am not a big spicy for kind of person, I just wanted to say that I did it! You will not be disappointed with the service, atmosphere and food, it truly is a gold standard in my books!

• Visited October 2013
INDIANAPOLIS
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I made reservations for two for my birthday and mentioned the occasion on the phone. My wife and I arrived to find a printed card personally wishing me Happy Birthday from the restaurant at our table...a nice touch! We ordered the Sunday Dinner special and chose Filet and Creme Brulee. The appetizer was a 3 shrimp version of their famous cocktail and was delicious and memorable as advertised.Our steaks were perfectly prepared and came with red skin mashed potatoes and green beans. The meal, service and whole experience was all top shelf. This was my first trip there but will not be my last...thanks to the staff for a great birthday dinner!

• Visited January 2014
Boise, Idaho
“Traditional steak house”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

St. Elmo was started in 1902 and has been in business ever since. It has a great old bar and plenty of dining space. This is a true steak house with great food. I had a filet mignon done to perfection with an excellent bernaise sauce. My lobster bisque was okay. If you like really hot cocktail sauce, try the shrimp cocktail. You may have to call 911 because the sauce will bring tears to your eyes. St. Elmo is a happening place crowded with customers, a must if you visit Indianapolis.

Visited January 2014