“A gem on Sundays”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed December 3, 2013

From their deservedly-famous, highly potent shrimp cocktails to their mouth-watering grilled steak to the luscious cheesecake, St. Elmos is among my most favorite steak houses. Service is always impeccable, and it just has that classic steakhouse vibe. And if you're looking for their fabulous food at a great price, check out their Sunday 3-course special, if it's still in effect when you plan your visit.

And talk about great service... I absentmindedly left my credit card behind. Our excellent waiter ran out front, across the street, and tracked me down at the parking lot to return it. A real WOW experience!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I planned a long week end in Indianapolis and on Friday 11/29 ate at St. Elmo's. We started with their supposedly famous shrimp cocktail - the shrimp were good quality, but the sauce was lacking flavor and was essentially just horseradish. The waiter brought the wrong bottle of wine (fortunately I checked before he opened it). The waiter was pushing the bone in cowboy ribeye and my wife decided to try it - we enjoy good steaks medium to medium rare - her steak was overly marbled, raw, and greasy tasting. My strip steak was just OK. My recommendation is to skip this place and take your business elsewhere.

1  Thank Leland J
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Do not miss the experience of dining at an Indianapolis landmark restaurant. Everything form the overall atmosphere to the service is excellent. The steaks are exceptional and their signature Shrimp Cocktail is not to be missed.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a steakhouse so steak is probably your best bet, although I am not really a steak lover. Everyone who goes there almost always orders their signature hors d'oeuvre - shrimp cocktail. Some times a local will take someone new and not warn them before they take a big bite of the of the cocktail sauce. If you have blocked sinuses before eating the sauce - you won't after - guaranteed. The atmosphere is a typical upscale steakhouse. St. Elmo's is a must visit on your trip to Indy.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

St. Elmos's Steakhouse is legendary in Indianapolis. The atmosphere is classic old-time supper club; very classy. The servers were tuxes and the rooms have beautiful wood walls and bar. The menu is simple. Several choices of steaks, chops and fish. They are world famous for their shrimp cocktail. They make their own cocktail sauce with fresh horseradish. The shrimp are large and the portion is very satisfying. The sauce will definitely clear your sinuses, but is it delicious. I actually bought a bottle of it before I left. I had the filet mignon and it was easily the best steak I've ever had. It was cooked perfectly. The service was great. This would be a great place to impress a date! All in all, one of the best restaurants and one of the best meals I've experienced.