“Best smack in the face!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,365 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
“Best smack in the face!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The shrimp cocktail sauce is the best smack in the face Indy has to offer. The flavor smacks you and leaves quickly with your taste buds begging for more. Must have. Lobster was perfection. Atmosphere made me think I stepped into a Hollywood movie. I'll be back!

Stockholm, Sweden
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

So tonight we went to Elmo Steak House, We were 10 people. The service was excellent but my steak was not good. I actually did not eat more than a small piece of it. The waitress handled it very well though. Thanks for that

• Visited November 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Solid steak and cocktails...”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Forgot to review St. Elmo's after my last visit.

Had a really nice ribeye and two Manhattans. The steak was underdone, but to be fair, they warn you ahead of time as they use a non-traditional color-scale. Basically, order "up" a notch from however you normally would. I figured I'd be fine regardless, so I ordered medium. Medium was definitely medium-rare, if not even a bit on the rare-rare side, but the flavor was obnoxiously good and the service was great. I ate it and was happy with my meal.

There are a few really cool places downtown that I don't get to that often - but St. Elmo's is definitely worth a visit if you're staying downtown Indy.

• Visited August 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Classic atmosphere and good food”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The $35 prix fixe menu was a good deal. It came with choice of starter, choice of entrée with two vegetables, and choice of dessert. I started out with the shrimp cocktail, which had a horseradish sauce on it and was excellent. My green beans were really good. The salmon and red-skinned mashed potatoes were decent. The crème brulee was good.

My friend thought the service was a little rushed and thought his food was decent but wasn't overly impressed. I didn't feel that way though.

• Visited November 2013
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

From the music to the greeting/service, it's a fantastic dinner locale. The shrimp cocktail is great, but spicy sauce, so ask for it to be toned down if that's not for you. The table next to me actually said "we are done. It's just too hot". The server brought them fresh shrimp with all new, less spicy sauce. Steaks are ok, but perhaps not as flavorful as competitors. Tender and juicy, for sure. They have a stellar wine list, including half bottles. Sunday has a special "3 course" menu where you can get desert, smaller entree, plus app for $35, at time of this review.