“Good but way too pricey!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,375 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
New Haven, Indiana, United States
“Good but way too pricey!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have been wanting to try this place for some time now. While the food was food, I'm not sure that it really lived up to all the expectations I had. Not to mention, I thought it was extremely overpriced. The shrimp cocktail was good but not the best I've had. I was disappointed that you could only get a cup of bean soup or tomato juice since I don't like either one. Both of our steaks were very good and cooked to perfection though. The service was outstanding! Would I go back? Probably not.....I can think of a lot better ways to spend that kind of money!!

• Visited September 2013

“Shrimp cocktail really lives up to the World Famous tag”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Solid old school steakhouse in downtown Indy.

Decent cocktails try the vanilla infused Makers and jalapeño margherita.

The shrimp cocktail has a great horseradish kick and is generously proportioned.

The steaks in our party were all cooked slightly longer than we'd have liked. My medium filet had very little pink and others in my party reported similar.

The service was fantastic, attentive and informative with some good recommendations on cocktails and sides.

1 Thank Peterjholland
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Knockout shrimp and service”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Three of us had dinner. Despite the relatively small menu, it is clear that there are excellent specialities that have been served up at St. Elmo's for a long time. The cocktails were very fresh and delicious and the server was spot on: he provided recommendations, thoroughly explained the menu (a la carte versus the Sunday "set" dinner, and was very attentive". As I am sure others have reviewed, the shrimp cocktail is a must: 5 jumbo shrimp and a potent cocktail sauce poured over them. Squeeze the lemon on them, take them out of the serving dish and then keep on (or gently scrape off) the cocktail sauce to taste. With its heavy dose of horseradish, you will know you are eating the real deal. Delicious. I had the blackened halibut which was moist and flaky, served over quinoa with an excellent sauce. Others in my group really enjoyed the perfectly cooked filet mignon. For dessert, the blueberry bread pudding was served with an outstanding bourbon sauce. This was a classic dining experience in a very classy environment - they have been doing it a long time and have been doing it right for a long time. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank Martin R
“Simply scrumptious!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Shrimp cocktail is all that it's lauded to be - amazing! Also enjoyed the crab mac-n-cheese (huge portion appetizer that could easily be a meal) and the mini bone-in filet chops that (after the shrimp cocktail and half of the mac-n-cheese) were a perfectly sized meal. The boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed the bone-in cowboy ribeye too. Wr sat at the bar and staff was friendly and helpful even while being crazy busy on a Colts opening wknd Sat night. All in all, a fabulous meal - pricey - but amazing and no more pricey than many of the best steakhouses in much bigger cities.

1 Thank Mgmecu99
Austin, Texas
“Excellent food but glad I didn't have to pay!!!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was able to eat here during a recent convention and luckily did not have to pay the bill because I know it was enormous. The interior is huge (it seems very small and quaint from the outside) with a seemingly maze like interior of stairs and hallways. We went on a Saturday night during a busy convention weekend and the place was packed. Even with a reservation and a private room booked we had to wait a bit to get to our seats...and there's not a lot of room for waiting either: be ready to stand while you wait (unless you get there early enough to squeeze into one of their packed bars)!

The food itself was well worth the wait however. We started off with their famous shrimp cocktails which came with their much lauded "cocktail sauce" which consisted basically of a potent homemade horse radish that is prepared daily in house. It was excellent to say the least. The steaks finally arrived and they also were top notch and excellent, and cooked perfectly.

The wait staff were friendly and efficient. Overall, a great place for high end dates, business lunches, or parties. I would definitely eat there again (if invited!!)

• Visited August 2013