“Good but not the best I ever had”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Oklahoma
“Good but not the best I ever had”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Service was excellent but the atmosphere was a bit hectic. I wouldnt consider it a quiet romantic setting. The steak was good but not the amazing that I expected based upon the hype & $. The shrimp cocktail they rave about is good if you love the nostrils to burn from the cocktail sauce/horseradish. My wife's chicken was great - go figure the chicken was our favorite item that night.

1 Thank welltraveledOkie

Portland, Maine
“Good, didn't live up to the hype”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great atmosphere -- busy, a crowd with class, and great space. Too long a wait for a table, so we ate at the bar. The food was good, but did not live up to the hype. Maybe we expected too much.

Visited January 2013
Greenwood, Indiana
“Famous but over rated”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had lived in Indiana for 50+ years before I made my first and only visit to St. Elmo's in November of 2011. I found it to be dark, loud, and cramped with the food only average and over priced. I know the NFL TV announcers rave about it and it was on a recent of NBC's Parks and Recreation but I don't ever plan to go again & I did not even pay for my one and only visit!

That being said my in laws love it. It might have to do with the celebrity sightings that they have experienced there. I personally don't care which TV personality or athlete I see when I am eating.

• Visited November 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Can be hit or miss”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

You can always count on getting a great shrimp cocktail at St. Elmos but I think it has been hit or miss with their steaks. I have had excellent steaks and then I have had to send my steak back twice in one evening and on another occassion I had to return my dinner once. The waiters are very good and attentive and because of the popularity St. Elmo's can get extremely busy on weekends or when there is an event in town. Best to call ahead for reservations. I love the interior but just wish the meals were more consistent.

• Visited January 2013
Milano
“A great choice”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Went there for a business dinner and have really had great food.
The appetizer is only one: shrimp cocktail. This is really something worth a try: spicy and with a great flavour.
There are hundreds of tables and different rooms so it tends to be noisy.