“BEST dinner I have EVER had!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The highlight of our business meeting is when the owners wine and dine us. This time: St. Elmos. Our group had 17. We were seated in a really inviting room. Our waiter was unbelievable. He made us feel welcome and had the evening under control at all times.

I had never been here, but had heard of the famous shrimp cocktail and the wild sauce. The shrimp were big. The sauce hot, but manageable and tasty. An old fashioned lettuce wedge followed with house made french dressing that was worth being an entree itself. A cup of bean soup followed and then...

My rib eye, seasoned and cooked perfectly. The best steak I have ever had. A loaded baked potatoe accompanied it.

Finally desert. Not just a little slice of cheese cake or chocolate cake but a large piece..

The menu had no prices, we were presented a nice range of choices.. what ever we paid, it was worth it. A once in a lifetime treat!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have been here before, as guests of others, which is the only way we would visit here. For teh life of us we cannot see where the reputation comes from. Pretty much average food, average presentation, average drinks. I will say the service is adequate.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

They have a very friendly wait staff, excellent service and food. The steaks are always cooked to perfection and the shrimp cocktail, seals the deal. Very delicious with the fresh ground horseradish.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went here with the two colleagues who I was traveling with on a Monday night in November. We did not have reservations. We were seated right away, but the place was definitely packed. There are multiple rooms in the restaurant, and it extends pretty far down the city block. We were seated in a room that was very "power broker" atmosphere - lots of groups of businessmen seated together, some quite loud. There was a large group of Japanese businessmen seated with their American counterparts, about 20 in all at one table. The room itself was dark with high ceilings and lots of mohogany - it definitely felt like a throw-back to another era, and I almost expected to see men lighting up cigars.

We started with wine and the only appetizer on the menu, the shrimp cocktail in spicy horseradish sauce. I'm a big fan of spicy food, horseradish sauce, AND shrimp cocktail, so I thought this would be a match made in heaven, but it was actually a little bit too much for me. Let's just say I downed a couple of glasses of water and wine after finishing only two shrimps. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the pre-entree bread selection!

For an entree, I got a bone-in filet with a side of potatoes. Absolutely delicious. The beef was everything you would expect it to be from a place with this reputation. Highly enjoyable.

The service was good and our server was very professional and friendly. As I was traveling on business, I was paying for my meal with my company credit card. As it turns out, the card didn't go through (!!!!), and the waiter didn't even look at me like I was some bum off the street who couldn't pay for my meal. He calmly took my personal credit card without making it an embarassing scene. Props to him for that. (for the record, I was promptly reimbursed - it was rejected due to a glitch by Chase)

Overall, I would recommend this place, but be wary of the shrimp cocktail. I think this restaurant is a good place to go with business guests, but it might be too loud and boisterous for a romantic date.

1  Thank Sarah Z
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We visited St. Elmo's steak house with my 16 year old and 10 year old. I'd recommend you go on Sunday. They have a prix-fixe option for a low price that provides excellent food. Some might want to go beyond (I did) - but for my kids it was great.

As many have mentioned, the shrimp cocktail is a big draw. Very spicy - not for everyone - but great for those who like spice - unique among restaurants. The atmosphere is a bit loud, but not raucous. My kids were great with it. I could see it for a business setting or couples as well. For smaller kids... not so much.

The wine complemented the steak well. The location is great. The steaks were cooked perfectly. I like medium rare and my wife likes (ugh) well done - and we were both thrilled.