“SHRIMP COCKTAIL... Need I say more?”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Fishers, IN
“SHRIMP COCKTAIL... Need I say more?”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great Indy tradition! Wonderful food-especially the shrimp cocktail and you never know what celebrity you just might run into!

Virginia
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a great lunch in December at St. Elmo's. Our party was a group of seven. The service was was very good. All steaks were received as ordered. The shrimp coattail appetizers were excellent. It's spicy, watch out. Many of us had the navy bean soup which was also delicious. My entree was salmon with polenta and a side of green beans. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the polenta was smooth and tasty. There were enough green beans to serve probably four people. I did share. The atmosphere of the restaurant was impressive. I loved the historic decor.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rockshire
“My Fav”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

St Elmo's is always been my fav spot. Now with the Prohibition Room upstairs, it's even better. Shrimp cocktail is world famous, steaks are excellent. Atmosphere is great, service too. For a special night out, you gotta go.

1 Thank imahoosier
Chandler, Arizona
“Great Steaks!!! Expensive... Shrimp Cocktails are way over-rated”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to dinner here for New Years Eve while visiting some friends in Indianapolis.
This is supposed to be "the place" to eat at while in Indy. It was a very nice, top of the line restaurant and the prices are high and reflect this. Id bet this place does a ton of business exspensed dinners for traveling business people.
The place has a great atmosphere and vibe to it. I am not familiar with Indianapolis, but seemed to be right downtown in the heart of everything. We parked in a parking garage across the street for like $10, however this place did have curveside vallet.
We were 4 adults and we each had an appetizer and a few drinks and our entre. Our bill was around $400 when it was all said and done. We expected this though... and it was new years eve... so all is good.
This place apparently is famous for its shrimp cocktail. So of course 3 of us ordered one. They were about $17 appeice! In my opinion, it was just large tiger shrimp that were smothered in cocktail sauce HEAVY with horseradish sause. I love spicy things! But this was just plain stupid. It was exactly like when a friend dares you to eat the wassabi at a sushi place. Im not kidding! I would never order the shrimp cocktail again. The entre steak on the other hand was 1st class! No A-1 sauce needed here! It was fantastic. I do reccomend this place when in Indy if you are looking for the anniversary dinner or business partner dinner. It was a cool place. Trust me... do not order the overpriced-wassabi tasting shrimp cocktail!
We did not have reservations and had to wait at the bar for an hour before we got our table. So reservations are reccommended.

• Visited December 2012
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“8th year wedding anniversary”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I went there for our 8th year wedding anniversary. I had a florist deliver flowers and they had them plus a small banner at the table. They even put the flowers is a older style wine bottle. The waiter was funny and did a great job making the entire dinner an experience. We had the shrimp. My wife and I loved the horseradish it really gave the cocktail sauce a kick. Yes it wa expensive but it was worth it for this special evening. The special was a 45 day aged Kansas City Strip. It was great, Ruth Chris can not compete. I made sure to tell the couple next to us to get the special, it was only $50 for the steak and compared to some Chicago steakhouses this was a bargain. Looking forward to taking Jamie back again soon.

• Visited November 2012