“Outstanding as Always!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed January 2, 2013

St. Elmo's is my family's favorite restaurant. We go every year over the Christmas Holiday. We look forward to it, and it was exceptional this year as it always is. We ordered a variety of food from the pasta to steak, and all of our meals were prepared exceptionally. My son and I both had the New York strip, and they were prepared perfectly. My wife ordered the fillet which was large enough to share with my 9 year old, and my mother, and son's girlfried ordered the pasta (both pasta orders were very generous portions). Our waiter Don was exceptional and arrived at the table at the perfect times. He even gave our nine year old his "crumber" when she admired it.

The shrimp cocktail was awesome as usual as was the bean soup. My son and I can't eat enough of the cocktail sause even using a spoon to get the last bit, however, it is extremely spicy so be prepared. They do offer a "milder" variety if you can't take the heat.

Be prepared to spend about $80/person (including tip), but we believe it's certainly worth the price for a once-a-year family night out.

We will continue to talk about this evening until we start planning for our 2013 visit to this iconic restaurant!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Its reputation preceded it; however, it did not blow my hair back. The service was outstanding and other than that, everything was just "good". A classic case of fitting too many people in too small a space. My steak was good but just warm because they cooked it before all the other entrees were done. All but one meal was dry. I really expected and deserved more for the price.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I guess I expected more from the St. Elmo Steak house. We started with drinks in their bar, which was pleasant. We were seated on time and at a great table. Our waiter was professional.

We ordered a steak special - bone-in ribeye. We asked for medium rare and it arrived very rare. The waiter took it back and it was fine after that. The quality of meat was not what I expected. The price was high and we were told that it was prime meat. Put it this way, we had to do a lot of chewing. Our daughter ordered the tenderloin, which was "like butta."

We had a stuffed baked potato and navy bean soup, which were both excellent.

This is an expensive night out and I don't think I'll return any time soon, because of our experience.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nothing negative to say, except I need a bigger stomach! The shrimp cocktail will literally knock your socks off. I love spicy, zesty, and hot; but too often a restaurant gets you heat and no taste to savor. This is the kind of good and zesty all in one. I know everyone raves about the shrimp, but the steak was more than I could eat and delicious. A must see and dine when in Indy!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My son and I left the girls at the hotel and treated ourselves. We could only get in at 4:30p on Saturday night (we tried several dates/times).

We shared the 28 oz Poterhouse steak with a baked potato. It was perfect, melt-in-your-mouth steak. The bill came to $77 (this includes a couple drinks).

Because of the price, I don't know if we would go back, but it was great trying it once.

Service was excellent.