“Good but not Jeff Ruby's”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,409 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

On a short getaway to Indianapolis, we knew we had to try St. Elmo from what we had heard. The atmosphere is great and the service was good. The flatbread in the bread basket was great. The mashed potatoes were outstanding. The prices were, of course, high. As for the steak? Our waiter told us that they tend to cook to the rare side so instead of ordering my usual medium rare, I ordered medium. My filet was medium well if not worse. Very little pink, if any. And unlike Jeff Ruby's in our hometown Cincinnati, the steak had very little flavor and was dry. For the price, I'm not sure we will be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,909)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Maybe I had too high expectation. The food is really just OK. The famous cocktail shrimp appetizer is special. But over-priced. It is only worthy of 10 dollars instead of 15.99 dollars. The steak is not very well cooked. Medium rare porterhouse looks like rare. Really disappointed. Jeff Ruby at Cincinnati downtown is better than St. Elmo. The free bread is really yummy. If you can go there just have a salad and enjoy their free bread. That's probably better choice than the steak.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Top of the line service and food. The shrimp cocktail sauce was as advertised, and the fillet was to die for. Won't go back it Indy without stopping at St. Elmo's!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

When I stepped into St. Elmo's Steak House, I felt like I had stepped back in time. This is an old world steak house with excellent service and food.

The onion rolls are delicious and truly unique. The filet mignon melted in my mouth. This was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten and I live in Chicago!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I love St. Elmo's. It is alwyas top on my list when Devour Downtown is running - Amazing food, excellent price! The shrimp cocktail is to die for - but is not for the sensitive mouth person!