“Excellent experience, look forward to next visit!”

St. Elmo Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,365 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent experience, look forward to next visit!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Classic steakhouse, with excellent wine menu. Known for shrimp cocktail with the hottest horseradish sauce I've ever tasted (it will really clean your sinuses!), excellent steaks, and decadent desserts. The service was excellent and we enjoyed every bite! A little spendy, in the current tradition of such places, but well worth it.

Visited October 2012

Auburn, Kentucky
“The entire experience was AWESOME! Loved the food and staff”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our choice for dinner when we went downtown to sight see. We had a wait time of 30 minutes and went upstairs to the bar. The cocktails were very good and they seated us in one of their unique, antique dining rooms. We truly felt like we had went back in time to the 1920's! The staff were very attentive and were dressed in tuxedo style waiter uniforms.

The shrimp cocktail is what I had heard all about in Indy, they are known for their super spicy horseradish laden sauce. We had to order one and it was very well presented and lived up to it's SPICY expectations. It was great! The navy bean soup that came with our meal was yummy and the salads were full of flavor.
THE STEAKS!!!! I chose the Bone In Ribeye and it was perfect. Being that Ruth Chris is my fave place in the world this place really knocked my socks off! The onion rolls with dinner were so tasty and a nice touch rather than a standard dinner bread. Our sides were all great too: I loved the creamed spinach, chopped salad, and au gratin potatoes(so good!). My husband's Amish Chicken was moist with a crisp outer skin and it was so tender. It tasted almost like they infused it with butter.

Our waiter was so attentive to our every need and he took very good care of us throughout the evening. Each detail was noticed and we never had to ask for anything.
If you are visiting I strongly suggest that you have dinner here in lieu of a generic corporate chain. The staff are very nice, the ambiance is one of a kind, and the food is classic top notch Steakhouse style. Oh and they won a James Beard award recently which is a really big deal for those that have no idea what this is.

• Visited August 2012
Chicago,IL
“Good for Indy”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I really enjoyed my dinner at St. Elmo. The service was awesome...about as good as I've had. I really like that they had a very nice list of half bottles of reds..this is a plus if you not with someone that into reds. Shrimp cocktail was as advertised...very good. The steak was average but I'm a bit of a steak snob.....living in Chicago my steakhouse of choice is Gibson's and I stack every steakhouse up to them and most don't add up. Good lively crowd and I would go back when in town again.

Visited October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Must-try shrimp cocktail”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I loved, loved, loved the shrimp cocktail! I also had bone-in filet chops and a loaded baked potato. Very filling and well-seasoned. The bartender and servers were all excellent. The bartender even plugged my phone up for me because I was headed out alone and it died. If I ever am in the area again, St. Elmo's is a must!

Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Superb experience”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We drove to Indianapolis to have dinner with my cousins who live there. I had been to St. Elmo's years ago, and I was eager for my husband to try it. We had their tasting menu...choices of 3 appetizers, entree and dessert. We started with Tanqueray martinis and when we ordered a second to split, it came with a set of each of the garnishes we ordered...olives for me and onions for my husband...a little thing, but a deft touch. We had their famous shrimp appetizer...plump shrimp in a wildly hot horseradish sauce...excellent, it not for the faint of heart. Our filets were cooked perfectly...medium for him and medium rare for me. Both were on the rarer sides of these measurements, typical for a food steakhouse. The meat was fork tender and very flavorful, something not always found in a filet. The mashed potatoes were good, as were the garlicky green beans. I chose creme brûlée and he had a chocolate cherry bread pudding, nicely done and perfectly sized...not too much after a rich dinner. Lane our waiter was professional, timing the courses perfectly and was friendly and humorous without being the least bit intrusive. We have good steakhouses in Cincinnati, but this was definitely worth the trip.

• Visited September 2012