“sorry their old menu is gone”

Murphy's Steak House
Ranked #597 of 2,416 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Irish, Steakhouse
Reviewed May 23, 2014

The Murphy's new menu and service is very disappointing. Steaks use to be much better. It is appropriate that they change the name to "Pub." A much lower standard now.

4  Thank Frank B

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The menu is comprehensive with specials and easy to find $10-off coupons. Most of the staff has been there for years so the dinners are right the first time with outstanding service.

Sure, the interior is dated, but you're not paying Ruth's Chris' prices either We get the combination dinner (appetizer and 1/2 of two entrees plus soup or salad) for a nice price. I recommend the lobster bites with either the steak or salmon. French onion soup is definitely homemade. Skip the wines and enjoy a draft Irish beer.

Say Hello to Craig Stonebraker, the owner - he's usually there.

1  Thank John_B_Indy
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The food was really great for the price. Had a dated feel but it was a fun dated and the staff was fantastic!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had attended, all day Saturday, the Indy Outdoor sports show and were looking for a place for a full meal before going and checking in at our hotel. I will always look for an independent restaurant over a chain, so that's what I went looking for on the web before we went on our journey to Indy.

I found Murphy's Steak House on the web and it seemed just what I was looking for and only 3 or 4 blocks from the Fairgrounds.

It turned out fine for our needs. Good food, excellent service, and a comfortable atmosphere.

All their meals come with soup, salad and choice of potato. We both had onion soup, house salad and twice baked potato. The soup was a thin version in a cup with 4 or 5 croutons floating on the top. It came with a shaker of Parmesan to add to the croutons. While this presentation would have seemed meager if that would have been the main focus of our meal, it turned out fine in view of the amount of food we were about to consume. As well, the hot soup was very satisfying since we arrived from the blustery 20 degree weather out side.

The salad we chose was mixed lettuce topped with a hot dressing of bacon, vinegar and oil, which resulted in a savory wilted lettuce texture with robust flavor.

Our potato selection came with our choice of entree, my wife had a petite filet and I had the make your own turf and surf for which I chose rib eye and their fried lobster ($21.95). I had not seen fried lobster offered anywhere except for Boothbay Harbor, ME. This version was excellent served with drawn butter. The steaks were cooked as ordered, my wife loved hers and I have had better ribeye.

The steaks came with a choice of Bearnaise or mushroom sauce and the serving was accompanied with a portion of grilled seasoned bread.

I had a coupon from the restaurant's website for a free desert of blackberry cobbler a la mode. I am not a big fan of blackberries because their seeds but the flavor was excellent the pastry was fine and the ice cream seemed particularly flavorful.

1  Thank leccvg
Reviewed August 27, 2012

as a youth, i must have driven by this place a thousand times but never tried it. on my last visit to indy i went there for lunch. a bit dowdy but the food was great, and for the low price, just amazing! the steak was tender, and my fish superb. service is great. i recommend it highly.

1  Thank dt400blows