“Mother's Day”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband took me to Ruth Chris to celebrate my special day. I had the beef tenderloin which was excellent - mushrooms, onions, butter - what was not to like. The crabtini was also superb! We split the tomato salad and both enjoyed it! Dessert was the upside down soufflé which was a taste sensation. We will be back!

There are newer reviews for Ruth's Chris Steak House

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Party of 7 after all day working at large convention. Thought we had reservations downtown Ruth Chris but informed it was another Chris Ruth 27miles away. Place is sold out and turning away people. Talking w the manager he reviews his options and it looks bad. Finds a slight opening and explains he will work with us if we can work with him. Time restraints. He doesn't want to rush us as he claims. Party talks and assures him we are fine with it. Seated and the first thing out of the servers mouth is he will not rush us but will expediate our order in the kitchen to help with time. We ordered bottles of both red and white wines, apps, drinks full meals, desserts and even sang happy bday to one in the group. Everything about this night was excellent. Top to bottom this place was perfect and from all seven people Thank-You
PS Best meal we had in 7 days in Town.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have eaten at this Ruth Chris twice before and in Chicago as well...previous experience 5/5 but previous evenings have gone at average crowd times.
This past night had reservations on city's prom night and major concert downtown. Reservations at 7:30pm, arrived at 7:15 to crowd outside and inside. What happened?
PRO:
1. Valet parking was exceptionally polite and customer service oriented.
2. Hostess pleasant, apologized for crowd and said our table for 6 was waiting for us.
3. Steaks and appetizers superior as usual.
4. Creme Brûlée was superior.

CON:
1. Waited 15 minutes once seated before acknowledged by staff.
2. The Waiter was one of the bottom 25% of wait staff I have ever been served by at an establishment where you expect to spend some money on good food and service.
While clean in appearance, his attitude was aloof and far from showing a desire to provide good service to our table. We waited on promised items and waited on items to be promised.

Overall, Ruth's Chris food was superior. The below average service we received from our wait staff was most likely atypical. However, I will not eat at Ruth's Chris again unless I make sure they are not crowded and catering to large events since do not want to set them up to hit a homer like I had with my guests at dinner and then watch as they strike out.

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Always a most enjoyable dining experience. Absolutely the best steak in Indy. Rave on about St. Elmo's (great shrimp cocktail) but if you want the best it's at Ruth Chris's.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner at this location with family and friends (a party of 8) and had to comment on a few other reviews first.

Couple people mentioned that the steaks were "fatty." Of course they are, they're hand selected prime grade steaks. Prime=higher fat content, more flavoring, etc. If you are watching your weight, don't go to a high quality steak house, stick with a nice sirloin from Applebee's (and I'm not being a steak snob about it; I love some of the covered/flavored sirloins from there).. But if you want a steak that practically dissolves in your mouth, it has to be a prime grade. Some people actually enjoy eating the fat (not me, but I think I get the idea anyway).

I also noticed a couple reviews commenting about the steaks being served sizzling in "grease" or "fat." Uh, that's butter. And again butter=fat, fat=flavor. I didn't trouble myself to look up any kind of calorie counter on Ruth's Chris but I did note while one of our dainty friends complained about the lack of "healthy" options on the menu that this is a steakhouse, have some shrimp and a salad while the carnivores enjoy themselves. I'm not here to judge anyone's food choices, but I want a good steak once in a while and Ruth's Chris delivers.

Alright, off my soap box now.

As to the location, one thing that is remarkable about this location is the amazing lack of turnover on the staff. Year in and year out I see a lot of the same managers and waiters/waitresses, which says a lot about the business aspect of the restaurant. The entire staff cares about the customer without overdoing it (high quality care vs. shallow or fake fawning; there IS a difference) and the quality of the meal never deviates. I've generally stuck with what I love but always try a different appetizer or side dish and have never been disappointed with the quality.

Having said all that, you pay for it. It's not a cheap experience and it should be savored as a luxury, but it's also not a nationally recognized super chic steakhouse. The flavors are distinct but not for everyone, and the slightly Cajun tinge to the menu can be off putting to people not familiar with that type of food.

Overall a delicious experience right in the middle of downtown Indy that's recognizable enough to out of towners to be comfortable and still a high quality cut of beef served in a unique manner.