“Great food, atmosphere laid back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yats on College

Yats on College
Ranked #69 of 2,347 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great food, atmosphere laid back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I always get the chili cheese with crawfish. Love it. you can get onions, cheese and sour cream on top at no charge. I asked if they serve beer and the guy told me , they don't ,, but I could bring my own if I liked. Would be great with the hot spicy food. Also had the chicken with tomatoes, that was great too. You get served fast , servings are more than plenty, and good price. $6.25 for a whole plate of food . Lots of college kids there. Fun to people watch.

• Visited September 2012

Indianapolis, IN
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Excellent food. I have never had anything I didn't like - even when I wasn't sure about how it sounded. Plus, you can try a sample before you order. Very laid back atmosphere.

Visited July 2012
Brownsburg, Indiana, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looking for something different?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Yat's is the place to go if you want something off the norm. Delicious food, very friendly staff and can usually get in and served and back to work in under an hour ... no problem!

Visited January 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Unpretentious cafe is a cool place to try cajun cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

The whole family met at Yats on Massachusetts Avenue for dinner. My 16 year old son really likes the cafe atmosphere with outside seating. It helped that an attractive female classmate was ordering at the counter as we left. The cool meter rose, at least for him.

This is not a fancy place, but it is a sweet little place to hang out either inside or at the outside tables. The menu is limited but you are able to mix half and half on the entres. Order at the counter from the blackboard menu. Drinks are serve yourself, and included brewed tea along with the usual sodas.

The cost was very reasonable per person. We spent about $8.50 per person including drinks. This would be great lunch place.

I tried the chicken creole on one half of my plate. The tomatoes overpowered the flavors with a bitter taste. The other half of my plate was a mixture that included sweet corn called chicken maque choux. It seemed very sweet in comparison with the chicken creole. Some tasty bread swiped with a red buttery flavor was included with the order.

The kids both tried the chili cheese etouffee with crawfish with good reviews. My 24 year old daughter noted that the order of eating the different dishes changed how the taste comes across. It is a testament to how far life has come that the kids are so willing to try new and interesting foods.

There were other things that I would like to try on a return trip, including the gumbo.
All the entres appear to be served with white rice and the tasty bread. There were lots of bottles of hcot sauce for those who want to take it up a notch or so.

Meat did not figure prominently in the dishes we had despite the titles, and that was all right. The food was filling. What I did miss was a salad or something a bit cooler to "cleanse" my palate. There did not appear to be side dishes.

A peanut butter pie had been advertised on Yats' website, but there was none to be had at our location. That I was primed to try. The website allows you to see what is offered at each location. Since I have never been to any of the other locations, it could be that they have more options.

The inside dining area is small. Large groups might want to try take out instead of sitting at the restaurant. For couples looking at date night, I expect that this would be fun, especially if you want to walk to some of the galleries and shops on Mass Avenue.

Parking is always a challenge downtown, but there were spots to be had in easy walking distance.

• Visited August 2012
indianapolis
“Cheap, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We brought some out of town guests to eat lunch. They declared that they wish to come again just to come back to Yats. The food took longer than usual to come out..I think they lost our order. However, it soon arrived after they came out and inquired with us. The only disappointment was that we had been told they had great sweet potato cookies. Well, they only had one left...we shared, but one cookie for 4 adults isn't very much. Not sure if they only bake on certain days? We arrived shortly after they had opened. Luckily it wasn't stale! Other reviews state paper plates... we had ceramic/glass plates but did have plastic forks. It works fine. I do wish that it was larger so that seating wasn't such a scramble...

• Visited August 2012