“Not as Good as We Remembered”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Javier's Hacienda - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Tacoma
Transit: INDY GO Stops in front
Tampa, Florida
“Not as Good as We Remembered”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Returning to Indianapolis after moving away, one of the places we were eager to visit was our old favorite, El Sol.
The menu was greatly reduced from previous years, and did not include some of our old favorites. The queso fundido which we remembered so fondly, was undercooked, so the cheese was not even completely melted. Prices have increased quite a bit, as well, which I guess is inevitable. Even so, $20 for a pitcher of margaritas is pretty steep.
My biggest complaint was the way the bill was handled. We started out with 4 in our party. After having appetizers and margaritas, and ordering our entrees, some out-of-town guests joined us, which brought our total number to 9. The additional folks didn't even eat, just ordered more pitchers of margaritas. When we got our bills, they had tacked on a service charge of 20%, and without even mentioning it to us. 20% at El Sol is ridiculous! Believe me, no way is it of the caliber of high-end places where you expect to tip 20%, mostly because the service in those places merits 20%!
We probably will not bother to stop at El Sol next time we are in Indy.

• Visited March 2014

Illinois
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

While visiting Indy was taken here for dinner by two friends who live in the area. This is their favorite restaurant and I can see why. Fabulous decor inside, awesome margaritas, delicious food, and decent prices. Downtown Indianapolis has lots of restaurants but so many chains-it was really nice to experience a unique dining spot while traveling.

• Visited March 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Will definately go again”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our motorcycle group decided to plan a winter dinner at El Sol and none of us were dissapointed.

We all ordered something different but all agreed that the Guacamole was excellent, maybe the best I've ever had.

The restaurant was clean and well decorated and the wait staff was excellent from start to finish.

I had the Carne A La Tampiquena which was seasoned well with a more than ample amount of steak. The other diners also enjoyed their Ensalada Del Sol with chicken and others had tacos and steak fajita's.

We will definately return to El Sol in the near future.

• Visited December 2013
South Bend, Indiana
“Mexican Delight”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My daughter and I had dinner here since I had gotten a certificate from restaurant.com for $25.00. It was good, but I wouldn't say it was the best Mexican food I had ever eaten. The restaurant had a cold feel to it and the piped in music was a distraction. My dinner was well prepared and hot on arrival. The wait staff was attentive and the place was clean although from the outside it was a bit daunting.

• Visited December 2013
Emmaus
“Excellent Mexican food, and not just the standard stuff”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is certainly our favorite Mexican Restaurant in Indianapolis. In addition to the standards, they have an excellent Polla con Mole. The mole sauce is very thick and tangy. My wife got the Lamb Shank Mixiote, which came with wonderfully spices and herbs. They also have great flans (three different types) for dessert, and excellent Margaritas.

• Visited October 2013