“Excellent mexican food- you won't be sorry you tried it!”
Review of Javier's Hacienda - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Tacoma
Transit: INDY GO Stops in front
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here for Mother's Day 2013. We were a little bit leery at first- it is located on east Washington St, in a not-so-great neighborhood- but we had a restaurant.com gift certificate so, we went.

SO glad we did!

First of all, don't let the exterior fool you. It is in a nondescript, almost dilapidated building and you have to park across the street in a sketchy parking lot. We weren't too sure about this but as soon as we got inside, it was awesome! They have it decorated like a traditional Mexican plaza with a big fountain/sculpture in the middle. The gurgling water was a nice background to our meal as we were seated right next to it.

The waitress was very attentive and appeared immediately with some chips and salsa and to take our drink order. The salsa was nothing special but the rest of the food was delicious! I ordered the flank steak and wife had a steak burrito. We did have one small hiccup in our meal when wife's steak burrito arrived as a carnitas burrito- had to send it back. But they were very quick about it and soon she was eating the correct entre. Portion sizes were very generous and I had extra to take home. Wish I could have taken the rest of my margarita with me too- ordered the tropical, size large, and it was HUGE and also very strong. Next time I'll stick with a small- but it sure was tasty.

The only thing I did not like was the enchilada that came with my carne asada- but that was because it was covered in mole sauce, which I do not generally like. If I had known beforehand I would have asked for something different- no biggie!

Price wise, it was a bit more on the expensive side: wife's burrito was $15 and my steak was $17. Large margarita was $12. Just something to be aware of.

Overall, this place was great. Probably my favorite Mexican I've found in Indy so far (and I'm a native San Diegan, so I KNOW good mexican food!). Go, and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

So my first time at El Sol happened to be on Cinco de Mayo! Fun atmosphere with music and a special menu.
I had a burrito that was huge! And delicious. The experience was great fun.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We went to El Sol tonight for dinner and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The atmosphere is wonderful from the decor to the sax player. We ordered the guacamole and chips as an appetizer and I don't like avocadoes, but this guacamole was AWESOME. Our son had fajitas and said they were exceptional. My chimichanga was fantastic. Our water, Max, was very attentive and great fun to chat with. I strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good Mexcian food. There was nothing "Tex Mex" about it. It was the real deal.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went here for the first time on 3/21/13. The neighborhood sucks, the building isn't so great, yet the inside of the building is beautiful. I had a great vegetarian dish as well as the margarita cake for desert - which was ok (not as delicious as I had hoped as it was too salty). The food was wonderful and beautiful. The only real complaints I have is that it took them a while to seat me with only a few people there. My salsa was never refilled the entire time I was there and the waitress came maybe twice - to take my order and give me the check. Because the food was awesome I will be back, but I hope the service gets better.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am from Indy and have eaten here many times. It used to be small and dark and dreary, butt he food was always excellent, and I didn't realize how authentic until I became an adult and visited Mexico many times. Just went back here on St. Paddy's day, and as usual the restaurant was pretty busy, it was a Saturday, and I just love how big and bright and welcoming it is now. I was with a high school friend and she could not believe this was the same "El Sol" we used to go to. The guacamole is a must order. They make it fresh to order, so it is always good. The only complaint I have this visit is that my beans were ice cold, but everything else ordered by me and others in my party were excellent. Great food, great drinks, great friends....always a good time there!