“Great Japanese lunches and dinners.”

Sakura Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #253 of 2,365 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cicero, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Japanese lunches and dinners.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Sakura was introduced to us by a visiting Japanese scientist over 20 years ago. He knew what to expect in good Japanese cooking. Not a fancy place, but food is great. Their chirashi is my favorite. Also other good sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, noodles, and tempura dishes. This is one of our two favorite restaurants in Indianapolis area. Often very busy in evening, so service may be bit slower then. AND, like many Asian restaurants, Sakura is not noisy, but, rather may have soft music and of course, the regular "dining noise". The staff is there to serve you, which they do well. If you want to be entertained and served mediocre food, go somewhere else.

• Visited July 2013

“It wasn't pleasant”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting so much better from this restaurant based on other people's reviews. I was unpleasantly surprised by the poor service and atmosphere. The food was good, however I was expecting a more hibachi-style menu, which was my mistake. I will not be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Sushi & Tempura”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Family and grandparents (6 total) had a very nice early dinner on a Saturday night. ALthough it was quite busy and our Sushi and main dishes took 20 minutes to get to the table, the wait staff was very attentive.
The Sushi and Nigiri was top notch as always. Three of our party had Japanese dinners: Seafood Terriaki & Shrimp Tempurea- both excellent, and the Fried chicken cutlets - good.
This is our favorite Sushi place among many very good ones in the area (Broad Ripple).

• Visited March 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Awesome sushi”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Sakura is the best for sushi! You wouldn't know it by the small old building, but inside, the food is awesome! You have to be patient though because there is always a wait to get food. This time it took about 50 minutes to get sushi. Normally about that long - even if calling in a to go order. Well worth the wait. We made reservations to eat in - which was a good move because they were pretty full and steady. Service is okay.

Zionsville, Indiana
“Great Food Poor Service”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I LOVE Sakura the food is always great but the service stunk. It took over 15 minutes to ut our drink order in because the waitresses were no where to be seen. We placed our order and our waitress was unfriendly and cold.She never cleared our salad plates from the table and we were left to stacking our dishes. Our drinks were never refilled and I had to hunt someone down to get more green tea. My daughter ordered dumplings and the waitress assumed she wanted fried dumplings not steamed ones. She never clearified or asked. When we told her about it she said she could not take the food back and we were stuck with the order. The food was their usual wow, but I left feeling like I was bothering the staff. Not an incentive to go back! :-(

• Visited February 2013