“Steak So Large We'll Share Next Time”

Bynum's Steak House
Ranked #230 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Surprisingly impressed with the quality of food. Our steak was so large and the baked potato so large that my husband I decided we needed to share next time. Very good!

There are newer reviews for Bynum's Steak House

Reviewed May 5, 2013

For those who follow my reviews, they see almost all my pieces related either to the many places I visit throughout the world, or my hometown, Alexandria, Virginia. This year so far (till the end of April, 2013), I have visited 26 countries. I start my next trip in a few days, which will take me to Tunis, Stuttgart, Amman, the Dead Sea, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Ramallah.

I must confess that my time spent in America's heartland has been rare in recent years. But this past weekend, I had the pleasure of being in Indianapolis, Indiana. What a treasure. Wonderful people...America at its finest. And Bynum's is the place to go for both American food and American culture.

I read about Bynum's in Trip Advisor, and decided this was the place to go to take my family. And indeed it is. The steaks and the prime rib, which I ordered, were outstanding. For those faint of heart, the prime rib may cause you to pass out. It is HUGE... and luscious. Melts in your mouth. I could only eat half. The rest I took home today, cutting it into thin slices to make a mouth watering sandwich. Yum.

But it was the culture that made us all smile so much. This was prom night for high school seniors in the area, and seeing all the young ladies looking like Cinderella in their sequined ball gowns and the young men so finely scrubbed and attired, one has to believe in the future of our society. They were delightful to see as they mixed with all the other families in the packed restaurant. And they joined in and gave a standing ovation when we all sang happy birthday for an 80 year old with his extended family.

My family will cherish this evening forever. We went there for our youngest daughter's graduation from college. There were other families like us there as well. But all of us in the restaurant were like one family last evening.

By the way...the service is outstanding...once again, real Americans, so generous, so warm, so attentive. And the price will really make you smile.

The decor is wood, wood, wood, with all kinds of sayings written on the wood beams. It was an Indiana version of what they must imagine Bavaria is like. And it's close enough.

The wine list is surprisingly bold. I only wish we had room for dessert. The list was indeed tempting.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

You get a lot for your money. The french onion soup, salad and steaks are fantastic. I have a hard time choosing between the ribs and a rib eye. We try to go at least 3-4 times a year.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were visiting friends in Indianapolis and wanted to take them to a good steakhouse. The staff was friendly and the service was good. I was really impressed with the salad. I have never seen nuts offered on the side and felt that was a really nice touch. I'm not into french onion soup which is a standard on their menu, so I passed on that. Our friends enjoyed the soup, the bread was crunchy and tasty. I've always felt that if you're at a steakhouse then that's what you want to eat. There was filet on the specials menu, served with mushrooms in a wine sauce. One person in our group said she'd order it again. I had the regular filet, butterflied as I prefer it on the not so rare side. This was a good decision and I would order that again too. On the down side, the strip steak was chewy and did not meet with approval.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Big portions, nice atmosphere. Dinners include salad, soup, entre and vegetables, bread. Yikes! I ate too much.