“Amazing Staff and Comfortable Stay!”
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #6 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Amazing Staff and Comfortable Stay!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Prior to my stay the hotel had only been open for 14 days. Was in town for business trip and was first stay at this property. Found the staff to be very friendly and courteous. Stayed in the private residences and the room was amazing and the towels and sheets were luxurious!! There are limited dining options on-site with one full restaurant (which is privately owned) and a bar style restaurant (tapas & small plates) and Market. Ordered room service for dinner and it was very good.
Would certainly stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexiaann
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Alexiaann,

Thank you for taking time to complete a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We do appreciate your your business and we will certainly share your review with our team. Your comments, "Amazing Staff and Comfortable Stay" is the goal we strive to achieve and we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to The Circle City!

The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 12, 2013

A beautiful new addition to Indianapolis. I loved the attention to detail in the rooms, the art in the lobby lounge area was quite cool. The employees were very attentive, helpful and professional. Also, quite cool to see the Brooklyn Nets players around the hotel. Overall, I was very satisfied - and in fact impressed - with my first visit to The Alexander. I will stay here in the future and would recommend this hotel for you - especially if you're a decor junkie and have a thing for mid-century design. :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank matthew a
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Matthew A,

What a great way to start my day reading your Trip Advisor review of The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. It is an exciting time for us with the opening of a new hotel and it is great to receive feedback from our hotel guests on their stay experience. I will certainly share your comments with the team and we look forward to your return, when your travels bring you back to the Indianapolis area. We are excited to be a part of the CityWay revitilizaton of Downtown Indianapolis where we are part of a neighborhood where one can work, play & stay!

Indianapolis
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I booked a California King Junior Suite based off of the descriptions on their own website. When we arrived, I was concerne because the hotel looked cheap on the inside. We checked in and the staff was friendly enough, but a little pushy/nosey about our plans for the evening. We went to the room and I again thought how cheap the hotel halls looked. We got to the room and I immediately thought that they gave us the wrong room. The description from their own website describes: "Floor to Ceiling Windows:, "Panaramic views", "Free-standing bathtub for long soaks", "32 LED tv in batlhroom", "55 in LED tv in room", "Luxurious", describing the room as a place you would want to entertain, etc. FIrst, the window, no "Floor-to-ceiling" window, rather a standard sized window that looked very small in a larger room. The "Panaramic view" was a nice view of a construction site. The "Free-standing bathtub" was simply a regular bathtub that was also dirty (new hotel also). The bathroom tv was built into the mirror, but was probably 15 in...no 32 in. The main TV was maybe 46 in, not 55 in as described. The room was bigger than average, but felt cold and cheap. I called the desk and they did not even know what room we were in and they said that they would call right back. They did tell me, when I asked about the TV in the bathroom, that it "was not practical when they built it". I waited about 10 minutes and decided just to go down to the desk. The gentleman first told me there was no construction...until I showed him the photo on my phone. They could give me no answers on the "floor-to-ceiling" windows. They did say that they knew they needed to update their website. The staff was nice enough, but not well informed at all. The photos on their website look nothing like the room. I requested to cancel our stay and they said that they would at no charge, but there is still a charge on my credit card. We travel a lot and were very disappointed by this stay. It does not reflect well on the City and all of the good things going on here. We are local and decided to give it a try for a weekend get away. I would not recommend this hotel at all mainly because of how misleading their website is.

2 Thank TLRJDR
Michael V, Public Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
TLRJDR,

Thank you for taking time to communicate information in regards to your recent experience at The Alexander on February 11, 2013. Although I was very dissappointed to read the review, I can only imagine your disappointment. Rooms descriptions posted online were completed prior to opening of the hotel and we are updating these at this moment. Please trust this was in no way an attempt to mislead, rather an oversight on website descriptions. My apologies and we will have these updated shortly. I would certainly love the opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to your visit so please call me at your convenience if you would be so kind.

317.624.8200
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I wanted to try this new hotel for our anniversary. We were looking for something nice and inviting and this was definitely not the place. It starts with a check in desk wrapped in a clear plastic box. Yes I said that correctly. You can look, but don't touch. This place is essentially an art museum with a floor for rooms. And as the other reviews stated, the rooms have very thin walls and you can hear everything. The bed was uncomforatble and the shower has one shower head and it is the rain shower type. So good for washing your hair but not your body. Unless they change things quickly, they will get people to stay once but the return visit will never happen.

Room Tip: Rooms at another downtown hotel are better.
2 Thank Jim B
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Jim B,

Thank you for choosing The Alexander during your recent visit to Indianapolis and Congratulations on your Anniversary! We appreciate you taking time to share your valued feedback and we are looking at our guest comments very seriously. Every component of the guest experience is critical. Thank You.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when your travel plans bring you back to Indianapolis.

The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel
United States
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights while on business in Indy. Modern, new hotel. Room was decent, but thin walls as others have stated. Also heard music outside window late at night, but was not from the bar. I think they have speakers on sidewalk with retro lighting. Needs to be turned off at a certain hour. Shower pressure was OK, but not a fan of the shower head all the way in the top of the ceiling...to high to really reach it. Dined in Market restaurant for breakfast, which was a basic buffet with a few hot selections, made to order omelets, etc. Surprised to see charges on bill at check-out from the mini-bar/snacks which I did not consume, but they adjusted it. Friendly staff. Overall, decent, new hotel. Would likely return next time in Indy.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveler1966_MI
Michael V, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Traveler 1966 MI,

Thank you for taking time to complete the Trip Advisor survey in regards to your recent visit to The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to your return when visiting Indianapolis. We appreciate your feedback and take all our guests comments seriously. As the newest hotel in Indianapolis - "The Circle City" we strive for excellence in both products and services. Please let us know when you are returning to The Alexander so we may ensure an Excellent Stay! The Team appreciates your loyalty!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to downtown Indianapolis and stay in hotels here about 25 nights per year. Decided to give this property a try and must say was a little disappointed. Check in was nice but the $27 cost for valet parking was a little steep. All the workers were very friendly and service prompt.

The problems started with the room...first, as others have mentioned, these walls are paper thin. You could hear tv, normal conversation, hallway noise easily and often. The shower pressure in the bathrooms was weak at best and the shower although fashionable was extremely annoying (over head so no adjusting, only a half door etc) the bed was just ok, nothing too bad but not special.

Bar and food areas were nice but expensive and there are much better options to eat and drink downtown.

Looks upscale but kind of just overpriced midlevel. lll stick to my tried and true other downtown options.

Room Tip: Get a room on high floor at end of hall of possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Michelle D, Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Cupctodd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at The Alexander. We appreciate your comments in regards to our hotel staff being "friendly and service prompt" and will share this with our team. I truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It is feedback such as yours that assists us in improving the level of product we provide our guests, and we are in the process of evaluating modifications to our showers. We were also sorry to learn of your disappointment in the pricing of our dining and valet parking services. We evaluate the pricing of these services to remain comparable to our local hotel market.

It is our hope to welcome you back to The Alexander when you are once again visiting Indianapolis to give us another opportunity to serve you.

Please feel free to contact me directly in regards to your visit and personally assist you with reservations.

Michelle Dollens
Guest Services Manager
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was very suprised at just how "Cheap" this hotel was. Modern art on the walls do not make a hotel a "Luxury" property. It was labeled as luxury and this was FAR from it. I have had much better stays at limited service hotels. The walls are paper thin. We could hear the conversations of the people next door and we were kept awake by people talking as they walked by in the hallway. The bed was VERY uncomfortable, as was the furniture in the room. My husband made the comment that they don't want you to stay long! The hotel has only been open for a couple of weeks and the grout in the shower already looks dirty. The breakfast food was okay. It was a buffet with much of the food being cold. COLD is a good word to use to describe the entire hotel. Nothing warm and welcoming about the Alexander.

Sandy D,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us at The Alexander. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you that is not the impression that we want to leave you with. We will certainly pass along your comments in regards to the temperature of the food. We are also looking into some modifications for our guest rooms that will solve some of the issues you presented. Our goal is to create memorable experiences for our guests and inspiring environments that bring people together. I understand we did not fulfill this commitment to you. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8224 to discuss your stay further. I look forward to speaking with you and hopefully we can have you back as a guest with us in the future.

Michelle Dollens