“Delightful Hidden Treasure”
Review of Big Mike's Cafe Americana - CLOSED

Big Mike's Cafe Americana
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We checked out Big Mike's Cafe based on our hotel's recommendation. I'll be honest, I was a little taken-aback when we pulled into an old, run-down strip mall. Big Mike's Cafe is not about glamor, that's for sure! But the food and service were surprisingly good! Big Mike's is owned and operated by a brother-sister team. They were extremely friendly and service was quick.

I had the Spinach Salad with grilled chicken, Balsamic Vinaigrette on the side. The portions were *quite* generous (I couldn't finish it!). Flavor was amazingly good! My husband had the fish and chips which was also quite tasty.

Most of the reviews I'd read were for their Chicago Style Pizza. I haven't tried it, so can't comment - but the food we had was awesome! Prices were extremely reasonable, too.

Mike came out, after we ate, to see how things were. When he learned we were from out of town, he offered-up some recommendations for things to do and see around Indianapolis. Very nice! Very "small-town" and "homey" which is a very nice touch when you're traveling...

If you ever find yourself in the northern burbs of Indy, stop by Big Mike's Cafe - you won't regret it!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Big Mike's is a small restaurant just north of 96th Street on College Ave. It's found in the middle of a commercial strip that includes a liquor store and a Chinese restaurant. The owner/operators, Katie and her brother Michael, are eager to please. Michael is the head chef and Katie is the head greeter and server. The menu includes soups, salads, pizza, burgers, sandwiches and an assortment of pastas and traditional American entrees. I have visited only in the evening for dinner but I understand they do a brisk lunchtime business including a buffet for quick service. I am told they no longer serve breakfast, but they recently got a license for beer and wine service. I enjoy the pizza which is handmade with lots of fresh ingredients. One thing I don't like so much is the front door opens directly to the parking area and the cold air rushes into the seating area whenever anyone comes or goes, so sit as far from the door as possible. Also, some of the fried foods are served with too much salt, so specify "no salt" unless you prefer your food very salty.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I live and work near Big Mike's and have never been disappointed with the food or service. Their sandwiches, salads and PIZZA are fantastic. The portions are more than adequate. I've enjoyed breakfast there many times as well. It is a small family owned resturant and I hope they have continued success so I may continue to enjoy their recipies.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in this small cafe while looking for a lunch place near an office I was visiting. It doesn't look like much on the outside; or the inside for that matter. Service was prompt, fast, and with a smile. I felt as if I was in a family owned and family run business. The blackened tilapia salad was TO DIE for. The portion was huge and it had everything I love in a salad. Blue cheese crumbles, cranberries, spinach.... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! Drinks come in a extra large mason jar. Cute. The prices on the menu were cheap for a NY girl; but I'm not sure how they compare to local places. $10 for my salad and root beer was a steal in my eyes. I'd probably drive out of my way to come back here; but just for the salad.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My hubby works close to this diner. I met him there for lunch. He got the buffet, I got the chili and cornbread. Very good!