“Go Here!”

Ranked #22 of 2,394 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bluebeard is a restaurant and bar located in the historic Holy Rosary Neighborhood on the southeast edge of downtown Indianapolis. Abbi Merriss has joined up with longtime friends Tom and Eddie Battista to create a unique food-focused experience. The menu offers contemporary American cuisine featuring the best local produce and meat our farms have to offer. The space, a renovated 1924 factory warehouse, features a family dining room, a bar room, a private dining room and a courtyard. Our menu varies daily – inspired by the freshest and finest ingredients. We believe food is meant for sharing, and these are the local farmers who have shared their ingredients with us: Big City Farms, Butler Campus Farms, Crossroad Vintners, FarmIndy, Fischer Farm, Full Hand Farm, Growing Places Indy, Gunthorp Farms, Harvestland, Josh Horrigan, Smoking Goose Meatery, South Circle Farm, Traders Point Creamery, and Viking Lamb.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I, who rarely get the chance to lunch together, had the opportunity to do so recently. We decided to stop by Bluebeard's on Virginia Avenue after having read various online reviews and having seen a feature in the local paper. I could go on and on but what if I just say - amazing.
The Melon Salad was spectacular - and my husband said his chicken salad sandwich on artisan bread was awesome.
We sat outside on the courtyard that fronts the entrance to Bluebeard's and enjoyed the unseasonably mild weather, a relaxing ambiance, a wonderful server and terrific food.

2  Thank MidwestSnowbird

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Be open to the cheeses and the different menu items , the service was great the food was awesome! Love the pappardilla.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a wonderful dining experience we had at Bluebeard. The place is small and eclectic with a nice outside patio. Our server Carrie was excellent. She took the time to explain the menu to us and help us pick out some great eats and drinks. We started with the Jailbird and Moscow Mule. The Jailbird was one of the tastiest cocktails I've had. She did warn us that the Moscow Mule was made with their homemade ginger beer that was very powerful on the ginger. She was right! It was a little overpowering for our tastes. There are so many different meats and cheeses on the Charcuterie plate that we had Carrie help us choose. It was served with fresh bread, homemade jam and mustard, and caper berries which were quite addicting. The chopped salad and the Greek beet salad were both amazing. I really don't know which one was better! The scallops were some of the best scallops I've ever tasted. You can't go wrong at Bluebeard! I hope to get back soon.

2  Thank Zinwinegirl
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had dinner last Saturday night at Bluebeard. First trip there, and it was a culinary treat. They serve bread from Amelia's bakery. We ordered a basket that came with grilled bread and three spreads, though the bread didn't really need any help. We had the chopped salad and the greek beet salad. They were two of the best salads we ever tasted. For entrees we had the scallops (perfectly carmelized) and the salmon. Both were excellently prepared and well-supported by vegetables and sauce. The highlight for me was the roasted snap peas that came with kohlrabi, horseradish, and dandelion greens in creme fraiche. If you like horseradish, it's a must. (It's like that car commercial -- "I'm going to dream about those snap peas".) They change their menu daily and portions comes large enough to share around the table. Can't wait for the next visit to see what the chefs have to offer.

3  Thank Rudy M
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I asked a local restaurant manager where he would eat in Indy, and this was one of his top three choices. He was right - this place is really good. It may be trying a bit too hard to appeal to the hipster crowd, but the drinks, food, and service were outstanding. They specialize in small batch liquors, a creative and very moderately priced wine list, and in using fresh, local ingredients. All the portion sizes are designed to allow you and your group to taste as many things as possible, and it works. I was able to try fresh oysters (properly dressed by the chef, so no need for condiments), fresh tomato/basil salad, beet carpaccio, korean style ribs with ramen noodles and kimche broth, as well as the spagettini with bolognese - all created with obvious care and good quality ingredients. They even have a bakery on the premises that makes some of the best bread in Indy. My server was kind, knowledgeable, and really helpful in selecting items I would enjoy. This is place to frequent.

1  Thank erickjd