“Fresh, Fun, Delicious”

Ranked #12 of 2,453 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bluebeard is a restaurant and bar located in the historic Holy Rosary Neighborhood on the southeast edge of downtown Indianapolis. Abbi Merriss has joined up with longtime friends Tom and Eddie Battista to create a unique food-focused experience. The menu offers contemporary American cuisine featuring the best local produce and meat our farms have to offer. The space, a renovated 1924 factory warehouse, features a family dining room, a bar room, a private dining room and a courtyard. Our menu varies daily – inspired by the freshest and finest ingredients. We believe food is meant for sharing, and these are the local farmers who have shared their ingredients with us: Big City Farms, Butler Campus Farms, Crossroad Vintners, FarmIndy, Fischer Farm, Full Hand Farm, Growing Places Indy, Gunthorp Farms, Harvestland, Josh Horrigan, Smoking Goose Meatery, South Circle Farm, Traders Point Creamery, and Viking Lamb.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I asked a local restaurant manager where he would eat in Indy, and this was one of his top three choices. He was right - this place is really good. It may be trying a bit too hard to appeal to the hipster crowd, but the drinks, food, and service were outstanding. They specialize in small batch liquors, a creative and very moderately priced wine list, and in using fresh, local ingredients. All the portion sizes are designed to allow you and your group to taste as many things as possible, and it works. I was able to try fresh oysters (properly dressed by the chef, so no need for condiments), fresh tomato/basil salad, beet carpaccio, korean style ribs with ramen noodles and kimche broth, as well as the spagettini with bolognese - all created with obvious care and good quality ingredients. They even have a bakery on the premises that makes some of the best bread in Indy. My server was kind, knowledgeable, and really helpful in selecting items I would enjoy. This is place to frequent.

1  Thank erickjd

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Pirate here for a great meal. Different, eclectic menu with friendly, efficient service. Be sure to finish your choices with the BEST BREAD PUDDING I've ever had--to die for!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place had some great cuisine, all home grown in the Hoosier state. From cheeses to beers, all the way to a shrimp farm... all food was not just local but very tasty. I highly recommend this place, but be sure to get there early. There's not a lot of seating and they didn't take reservations. And from the time we arrived to the time we left, we were there a total of 4 hours. The wait staff was very helpful, but clearly very busy and honestly took long to get food ordered, delivered and paid for. We were with good company so ultimately not a big deal, but that might be tough for others. Overall... i definitely recommend.

1  Thank JohnnyProvo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just had a great meal here last night! This was our first time going and the menu reminded me of Stephanie Izard's Girl & The Goat! We sampled the cheese plate, brussel sprouts, chop salad, Grilled Baby Octopus, Fried Anchovies, Chicken Tostada,and Creme Caramel. My favorites were the Cheese Plate, served with caper berries (bread could have been a bit less chewy), Brussel Sprouts to die for, and Grilled Baby Octopus. Wine menu is really affordable and eclectic. Next time we go I plan to try different things and sample one of their creative cocktails. The atmosphere has an Industrial Vibe with a great outdoor patio. Can't wait to return! Just GO!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I met another couple for dinner last weekend. I got off to a bit of a bad start as I circled the block about three times before I found a place to park. The couple wet met lucked out and stumbled on a spot right out front!
Once to the door, we werer promptly greeted, taken to a table to meet our friends and offered cocktails. Maybe I'm a little bit of a wine snob, but I thought the whites were only so so....
We split some appetizers of cheese and sausage that were all really very good! Chop salad was next and was excellent. My wife had the soft shelled crab and said it was to die for. I had the selections of tuna and much to my surprise liked the slider best...I love tuna sushi but the slider just hit the spot!
I was able to resist dessert, but really enjoyed the coffee from the french press.
This place is a good 4 1/2 stars. Maybe with valet parking they could make it to the top?