“HGI Indianapolis = good value for a business traveler on a budget.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #19 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
San Francisco, California
“HGI Indianapolis = good value for a business traveler on a budget.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for business. I selected it because of the price point and location. Upon arrival, I couldn't figure out where to park. I finally found a parking garage behind the building. I later found that this was the hotel's garage (until 06/01/09). I had to go up to the fifth floor, despite the garage being empty, because all of the spaces were reserved. I found an entrance to the hotel on the 3rd floor, but it was locked. I had to go outside and walk around the garage with my bags -- it was pouring rain.

The front desk was efficient and had me set-up for zip check-in. I was on the 11th floor. There were several elevators, so it was easy to navigate. The room had a king bed, a working desk and comfortable working chair, and small upholstered chair with ottoman, a hutch with a microwave and fridge, and a desser with a 42" flat screen television. The bathroom was a typical set-up with a sink, toilet, and tub/shower combo.

My biggest complaint was the loud, AC unit. The choices appeared to be "off" or "on" -- no automatic. It was hot, so I ended up having to let it run all night...although the noise was bothersome.

The carpets and bathroom were clean; and the furniture was in good shape. There were several lamps, and the light was sufficient. There was free (but slow) wi-fi access; and pay wired broadband access.

The property appears to have a pool and fitness center, but I didn't use either. For a buisness traveler on a budget, who needs a clean room with a comfortable place to work, in the Monument Circle business district, this is a good choice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed one night in May in this hotel. The location of the hotel is good, within walkinng distance to a shopping mall, restaurants and cafes. We did not drive so parking was not an issue. The room was nice and the mattresses were very comfortable. There was coffee/tea available in the lift lobby from morning until they run out.

The staff manning the reception were pleasant but not all of them seemed particularly interested in serving the guests. On two occasions, when I approached the counter to ask for information and directions from the staff , only one of them responded with a smile.The other lady just stood there and stared at me and went back to whatever she was doing. She seemed so disinterested and gave me the impression that "I was such a bother". They seemed to forget that we were visitors and had absolutely no idea about the place at all.

We had a buffet breakfast at the ground floor restaurant and the food was quite alright, though not particularly fantastic. I had the hot dishes, then the breads and finally the fruits. Even before I finished eating the fruits, the waitress came over to clear away our cutlery and plates and even started to wipe the table. It was still an hour away before they close for breakfast. One has to eat fast in this restaurant .

On stepping out from the hotel after our breakfast, we saw a valet attendant brushing his teeth outside the hotel entrance and spitting into the drain after rinsing. He grinned amd apologised when he saw me smiling at him ....but actually I was reeling from shock...could this be happening in a major city in the USA . He then went back to his rinsing and spitting. That was surprisingly bad hygiene in view of the spread of the H1N1 virus, not to say bad manners to do so in public. Why couldn't he use the restroom just located off the lobby of the hotel?

The hotel was nice enough to give us a late checkout as our transport to another city would only arrive at 5 pm. However, despite the reception saying they would inform housekeeping, the housekeeping staff came knocking twice on our door to ask when we would leave.

We would say that the staff although not overly "professional nor service-oriented" , were pleasant enough to us not to harbour any ill-feelings toward them. They gave us the impression that they had chores to do and must do so on time no matter what....guests or no guests! One of the more interesting hotel I ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

This was my third stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown. Everytime I have stayed here the staff has always been friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are very well appointed with very comfortable linens, nice flat screen televisions, mini fridge, microwave, and plenty of workspace. Bathrooms are very nice with stone tiles, granite shower surround and countertops and upscale toiletries. Ive always been on the sixth floor or above and have had a great view everytime. The property is located right next to Monument circle, and is just steps from many great dining choices and the Circle Center Mall.

I had the chance to try some of the food from the hotel's restaraunt, The Great American Grill. I ordered via Room service and in less than 30 minutes my food has arrived and everything was much better than I had expected it to be. I had low expectations since it is difficult to find decent hotel food sometimes, but it was great! I have to say, the food at this hotel (At least room service) is much better than the food at the Embassy Suites just a few blocks away!

The staff here really knows what they are doing. Definitely a great representative of the Hilton Family, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank HospitalityKid
extratowels987
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

My husband and I have never been to Indy and were looking forward to our time there for a wedding. The hotel is in a great location...walking distance to several great restaurants, night spots, and a mall. Starbucks and a fabulous little pizza parlor across the street. We had a nice King room with a spacious bathroom. I opened up the curtains to check out our view and was very disappointed. We were on the 5th floor and could catch a hint of actual sky...we were facing the air ducts and other buildings. Called for extra towels once but never received them...just a little pet peeve of mine. Also, parking is a pain and very expensive (14/night self-park, 22/night valet).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and I planned a trip through the Midwest and were just "passing through" Indianapolis on our way to Chicago, Milwaukee and Greenbay. We liked this hotel so much that we altered our return itinerary to skip St. Louis and go back to Indianapolis. Originally we both thought Indy was a sleeper and were more excited to hit the other cities on our list. Milwaukee and Greenbay were great, Chicago was a bit disappointing but Indianapolis was AWESOME! This hotel and its staff took us under their wing and treated us like we were the most important guests they had - both stays! Their Suite rooms are spacious and well worth the little extra money. The reservation staff (Sarah Nogurera) was extremely helpful and took care of our every need. The desk staff was "human" and gave you the tops in service, no matter how busy. The beds in the suites were air adjustable - so you could have as firm or soft t a bed as you wished. The only oddity was the parking for the hotel was in an adjacent parking garage (discounted rate with room stay) and the garage entrance to the hotel was difficult to navigate with luggage. The Hilton Garden is centrally located right where you want to be in Indy! We can’t wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott M
Williamsville, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

Stayed for 4 days of business travel, conference hotel was the Westin which was a brisk walk (got in more sightseeing that way). Staff was friendly from the day I called to pay for reservation (even got a "stop by to say Hi when you check in"). Comfy bed (I had a handicap accessible room as it was the only one available - I checked in around 2 am).

Parking was horrible, limited spaces available in the garage; not accommodating for luggage, etc.

Tons of restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Found 3 Cajun restaurants downtown and an Au Bon Pain for jalapeno/cheddar bagels!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

Almost every hotel has some kind of access driveway so that people can check in--not this one! After you find a way to check in, you will then have to drive around the block to find the parking lot, which is just not that easy to find. A little bit of helpful explanation from the desk staff would have made this much easier!
This hotel doesn't have a really good restaurant, but it's very convenient to many, so this is not a problem. It has a little grill-type restaurant which offers very limited breakfast options. My husband and I went to the breakfast grill early on a week day morning. We were the only people there. I saw the breakfast buffet, and asked the host if it was okay to order breakfast rather than use the buffet. He seemed to think this was a bizarre question. He immediately reeled off a long speech about how many items, what prices, etc, but never really answered my question. When he was finished, I said, so, uh, does that mean I can order something? He said, I think I just explained that to you.
I apologized, saying it was still early in the morning, and he did finally say, yes, I could order something. When he took our order, he actually rolled his eyes--he asked me what type of toast (white, whole wheat, etc) and I asked what was their best bread. But many restaurants have some artisan breads they are proud of, and I was just asking if they might have something like that. I really do not think a waiter has ever rolled his eyes at something I've asked. I am not a rude or demanding person; I have a medical reason for avoiding open buffets. I'm just not used to being treated rudely. Needless to say, the next morning we did not go there! We enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the nearby Paradise Bakery, where all the staff people were friendly, cheerful, and helpful.
Overall, every time I asked anything at the front desk, I got a response that was just not friendly. Nobody was rude (except the grill host), but I never got the sense that the staff was very concerned or interested. And they were definitely not cheerful or friendly.

• Liked — Location and good internet
  • Disliked — Parking and service
  • Stayed October 2008
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)