“Great location...but room had nightmare of a view”

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #18 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
extratowels987
“Great location...but room had nightmare of a view”
Reviewed April 4, 2009

My husband and I have never been to Indy and were looking forward to our time there for a wedding. The hotel is in a great location...walking distance to several great restaurants, night spots, and a mall. Starbucks and a fabulous little pizza parlor across the street. We had a nice King room with a spacious bathroom. I opened up the curtains to check out our view and was very disappointed. We were on the 5th floor and could catch a hint of actual sky...we were facing the air ducts and other buildings. Called for extra towels once but never received them...just a little pet peeve of mine. Also, parking is a pain and very expensive (14/night self-park, 22/night valet).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and I planned a trip through the Midwest and were just "passing through" Indianapolis on our way to Chicago, Milwaukee and Greenbay. We liked this hotel so much that we altered our return itinerary to skip St. Louis and go back to Indianapolis. Originally we both thought Indy was a sleeper and were more excited to hit the other cities on our list. Milwaukee and Greenbay were great, Chicago was a bit disappointing but Indianapolis was AWESOME! This hotel and its staff took us under their wing and treated us like we were the most important guests they had - both stays! Their Suite rooms are spacious and well worth the little extra money. The reservation staff (Sarah Nogurera) was extremely helpful and took care of our every need. The desk staff was "human" and gave you the tops in service, no matter how busy. The beds in the suites were air adjustable - so you could have as firm or soft t a bed as you wished. The only oddity was the parking for the hotel was in an adjacent parking garage (discounted rate with room stay) and the garage entrance to the hotel was difficult to navigate with luggage. The Hilton Garden is centrally located right where you want to be in Indy! We can’t wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott M
Williamsville, NY
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Stayed for 4 days of business travel, conference hotel was the Westin which was a brisk walk (got in more sightseeing that way). Staff was friendly from the day I called to pay for reservation (even got a "stop by to say Hi when you check in"). Comfy bed (I had a handicap accessible room as it was the only one available - I checked in around 2 am).

Parking was horrible, limited spaces available in the garage; not accommodating for luggage, etc.

Tons of restaurants and shopping are within walking distance. Found 3 Cajun restaurants downtown and an Au Bon Pain for jalapeno/cheddar bagels!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Almost every hotel has some kind of access driveway so that people can check in--not this one! After you find a way to check in, you will then have to drive around the block to find the parking lot, which is just not that easy to find. A little bit of helpful explanation from the desk staff would have made this much easier!
This hotel doesn't have a really good restaurant, but it's very convenient to many, so this is not a problem. It has a little grill-type restaurant which offers very limited breakfast options. My husband and I went to the breakfast grill early on a week day morning. We were the only people there. I saw the breakfast buffet, and asked the host if it was okay to order breakfast rather than use the buffet. He seemed to think this was a bizarre question. He immediately reeled off a long speech about how many items, what prices, etc, but never really answered my question. When he was finished, I said, so, uh, does that mean I can order something? He said, I think I just explained that to you.
I apologized, saying it was still early in the morning, and he did finally say, yes, I could order something. When he took our order, he actually rolled his eyes--he asked me what type of toast (white, whole wheat, etc) and I asked what was their best bread. But many restaurants have some artisan breads they are proud of, and I was just asking if they might have something like that. I really do not think a waiter has ever rolled his eyes at something I've asked. I am not a rude or demanding person; I have a medical reason for avoiding open buffets. I'm just not used to being treated rudely. Needless to say, the next morning we did not go there! We enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the nearby Paradise Bakery, where all the staff people were friendly, cheerful, and helpful.
Overall, every time I asked anything at the front desk, I got a response that was just not friendly. Nobody was rude (except the grill host), but I never got the sense that the staff was very concerned or interested. And they were definitely not cheerful or friendly.

• Liked — Location and good internet
  • Disliked — Parking and service
  • Stayed October 2008
Ohio
Reviewed October 16, 2008

The parking situation just to get into the hotel is not very ideal at all. You have to park at the Chase parking garage. This is not listed anywhere. Go to the front desk and they do not say anything about parking garage. They tried to put us in a room with 2 full beds. We were going to be there for 5 nights. Plus the room smelled awful. The whole floor had an odor. So, we went back to the front desk and told there were were going to be there for 5 nights and would like a king size room. That was switched with no problem. We didn't see any luggage dolly and ask about the parking garage. We are informed about there is a door on the third floor of the parking garage. We are parked on the 5th floor because the others are reserved and have towing signs on the spaces. There was a limo in the front of the building, so we couldn't unpack the car. So up to the 5th floor, take the elevator to the 3rd floor, and roll the luggage across the parking garage to this door. The door is key access and is up some stairs. If you were by yourself it would have been next to impossible. Still didn't see any luggage dollies or anyone to help. Got settled and then we are going out. Get in the car and the parking attendant asks for our orange ticket. What orange ticket? We just have something orange for our dash. So, we go around the building which is a half a block in my dress shoes. Get this ticket and go back to our car back around the building. When we checked in no one told us about this magic orange ticket. We had to ask everyday for our ticket. The room was very musky. If you didn't have the fan blowing it was really bad. This building was an old bank, so that explains alot. The room was very clean except for the mustiness in the air. If we had our do not disturb sign out they didn't bother us at all. There was only one day that we left late in the afternoon and they didn't get around to the room. No big deal. We had plenty of towels. When we were checking out, we had to ask for a dolly and they were in the back. The bellman helped us out. I would have rather done it myself. We are not one for valet parking and bellmen. When we get old maybe, but not now. I am not going back to this hotel. It has not shaken my confidence in the Hilton hotels, but something really has to be done about the parking and the air quality. If you have allergies of any kind I would go to another hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
memphis, tn
Reviewed September 10, 2008

This is an amazing hotel. It is located in an old bank building and very impressive. The rooms have large ceilings and have microwave/fridges in them. Of course, this is usual Hilton standards...nice beds and large TV's.
Tons of cafes, shops, etc are located within a 5 minute walk. I would recommend to anyone on business or pleasure.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Boo1
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We just returned from a 3 nights stay at this hotel. My husband and I were down to Indianapolis for a business trip.

The exterior of the building was beautiful. It is a historic building built in 1914. Originally was named the Fletcher Trust Building and housed a bank.

The interior when you 1st walk in is beautifully set up. Very business like but it made you feel comfortable. Lots of comfortable seating in the lobby.

The front desk staff were absolutely wonderful. They always knew who you were and asked how your day was. They would help you find places for dinner, dancing, shopping, etc. Very helpful staff. We especially liked Megan! She was so much fun we looked forward to seeing her each day!

There is a small restaurant/bar just off the lobby. We had the buffet breakfast and it was so good! The drinks in the evening were tastey as well.

Beside the front desk they have a 'pantry' open 24hrs a day where you can buy drinks, water, alcohol, pain killers, chips, gum, chocolate bars, nylons, toothpast, the paper, etc. *You get the picture!*

Our room! The suite on the 15th floor! AMAZING. Large Bedroom with sitting area, flat screen TV, mirrored closet, 4 huge windows, large work station, AND the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel.

The bathroom was just off the bedroom. Very large with a separate toilet area with a door. Big mirror, hair dryer, marble tub surround.

The front entrance sitting area had 2 chairs, pull out couch, flat screen tv, work station, fridge, coffee maker, lots of cupboards for storing food etc. Even a microwave!

The maid service was excellent as the room was always clean.

Location:
We really liked the location because it was just a few steps away from the large War Memorial Tower. You can walk or take an elevator to the top and look out over the area! Plus there is a museum inside.
Circle Centre Mall was well within walking distance. Really good mall. We loved the Brookstone and Victoria Secret stores! If you go to the Brookstone store, ask for Matt! He's an excellent salesman!

Food:
We ate at Mo's. Very dressy restaurant that has the best steak in town. Wonderful waiters, especially Sid! There was a person playing piano while we ate and an area to smoke cigars and cigarettes.
We ate at Buca's. Italian restaurant. Excellent food and service!
**The best place was 'STEAK AND SHAKE'. We don't have them in Canada and we loved it. They sell 'steak burgers' and amazing 'milkshakes'. I'm still craving it.

Nightlife:
Within walking distance you could go see a football game at Lucas Oil Stadium! We spent each night dancing at Ike and Joneseys! Great bar/club for 30 and up crowd.

Overall our stay at this hotel was EXCELLENT.
We would love to come back and would recommend it to everyone!

PS-There was a pool and workout room but we didn't even get a chance to see it!

• Liked — We loved our suite on the top floor. Room #1500. We loved the bed, duvet, pillows, etc.
  • Disliked — We visited a smaller room on the 15th floor and it smelled very musty! We told him to tell management.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business