“Disgusting”

Ranked #18 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Dallas, TX.
“Disgusting”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hilton Garden Inns are usually my preferred Hilton property but when I checked in late on the evening of March 25th I was surprised and disgusted to find the previous guest's stuff in the shower (see photo). While this was bad enough, I also found an ugly stain, from some unknown substance, on the bathroon door jam and a chipped glass on the bathroom counter. I had to wonder what else might have been neglected.
In all fairness, the General Manager and Sales Director responded quickly with apologetic emails including a number of excuses and defending the reputation of this property. Also, there was promise to credit my account with a number of points for my trouble which, to date, has not happened. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown, just a couple blocks away, and will stay there again when I return as it was impeccably clean. I won't be staying at this HGI again.

1 Thank Bulitlist
HGI-IndyDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
The Hilton Garden Inn prioritizes guests safety, security and health. We excel in these areas, and it shows as we are one of the top performing hotel in our region for service. To achieve this we understand that that we are not perfect and mistakes occur. When a issues arises we make no excuses we “Make it Right” We always honor our promise that is how we are able to achieve out high customer retention making us number one in our market.

My staff and I have apologized for the issue along with “Making it Right”. Your points will be awarded it just takes a little time to post.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the suite. The room was a great size, but a portion of the suite never got warmer that 64 degrees! We booked the hotel knowing that there was an indoor heated pool for our kids to enjoy. When we went down to swim we were surprised about how cold the water was. Our kids couldn't even stay in longer than 10 minutes without their teeth chattering and lips turning blue. When we reported the issue to the front dest they claimed that they do keep the pool very cool. Very cool would have been better than freezing! Definitely not the heated pool it claimed to be.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HGI-IndyDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I do apologize about our pool being so cold. We do have a heated pool as stated, but the heating coil went down which caused the pool to be cold.

I am sorry this occurred while you were at our property. We did get this corrected once the part arrived though it appears you already checked out. If you are ever in the area again I would be more than happy to give you a reduced rate for the problem that occurred while you were staying with us.

My apologies again,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Spent last night at this property and the overall experience was good. Staff was great from valet to doorman to front desk. Very historical building, so if you're into that kind of thing this hotel is right up your alley. Drawbacks would be minor things (piece of elevator key pad taped on, toilet required 2-3 flushes for normal usage, HVAC unit was loud and woke me up last night). Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant or lounge, but my assumption is it is typical HGI fare.

Room Tip: 9th floor had AC noise, don't know if this is in all rooms/floors.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed one night on business. Moved to the Homewood suite.

Hotel decor is old. Staff is not friendly.

Wifi in the room did not work (reception).

Nice view from the room on downtown Indianapolis.

Location is good and central.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are not you standard Hilton Garden Inn. Our building is a historic building so it does not have that modern look as a regular Hilton Garden Inn. We opened in December 2003, and have the up-to-date amenities as a newly built HGI hotel, but the inside is more traditional with a historic feel.

We have some of the best service scores in our company, so I was disappointed to see that our staff did not take care of your needs. This is not the way of our culture. If there is anything I can personally do for you to give us a second chance in proving we are a better hotel than you encountered please let me know.
Chesterton, Indiana
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at this location for 2 nights. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a couch pullout for the kids. It also included a small fridge and microwave. The room was clean and very spacious. There was plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 kids. There is a TV in the sitting area and in the bedroom suite so no fighting over what to watch. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is within walking distance to restaurants. It is an older building but the lobby as well as our room was up to date. We used the pool both days and the kids loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'm a Hilton Diamond Member and have had the opportunity to stay at HGI's all over the US. this one was AVERAGE, at best! Location and staff/service are its MOST redeeming qualities. Located conveniently in DT Indy. Plenty of places to eat in easy walking distance. Hotel is "old school" and needs a facelift. Starts in the elevators. While they have charm and character, they need to be cleaned, painted and a general interior rehab....really worn. My room was on the 14th floor and had somewhat a view of the city. It was small, but i expected that from an older DT hotel. What I didn't expect was the incredible racket the heating and AC made. apparently there was some sort of significant damper problem in the duct work because no matter what I set the termostat on, it did nothing but "BANG" all night. Terribly difficult to sleep and couldn't have been a secret because you could even hear it out in the hall. Reported it to the front desk...but apparently, since it was the weekend....no one cared enough to take a look.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We do have some challenges associated with having a historic building, but some of the issues you mentioned are new. I will make sure they are investigated and corrected immediately.

If a guest is here during the week or weekend their issue should be addressed the same no matter what day it is. I do apologize for this, and will make sure we do a better job in the future.

Being a diamond member you understand how important our guests comments are so please give me a call to discuss further. We do care about your opinion.

Sincerely
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Great location - walked to everything downtown. Very good service. The group sales team was very professional and accommodating. Meeting rooms are nice.

The only opportunity would be that they need a service elevator. Cleaning staff was on elevators with carts.

• Stayed March 2013