“Decent Location for Conseco Fieldhouse”

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #19 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Louisville, Kentucky
“Decent Location for Conseco Fieldhouse”
Reviewed December 24, 2007

We set off from Lousiville to Indy on a rainy and then snowy Saturday (December 15) to attend a college basketball game. Access from I-65 north was easy off the Marekt Street exit. Our room was ready at 12:30 p.m. We were on the top floor in a large corner room. I would guess that the corner rooms are the largest in the hotel. With two large sets of windows, we had plenty of natural light. Sadly, the color scheme was an "icky" gold with heavy curtains at the windows. The bedding was very comfortable on our two double beds. TVs are not flat screen and still reside in the out of date "armoire". For us the location was excellent. We were 4 blocks from Conseco and one block from the main shopping street. The breakfast was OK. The cook was able to do simple eggs, pancakes, etc., but was cooking on glorified hot plates. The result was slow service! Personnel were young and very friendly. For a one night stay in Indy, the Hilton Garden Inn is reasonably priced and has a convient location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dated room decoration
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Louisville, KY
Reviewed November 23, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for a 2 day getaway. I chose this hotel due to the location and the price and it looked nice-which it is. We took our swimsuits since they had an indoor pool, but we never ventured down to the pool area. The good thing is when you first walk in the hotel you don't see or even smell the pool, which is good. The fitness area was closed due to remodeling so it should be pretty nice now if you're into that. The location was great I thought. We walked to the mall (about 2 blocks or so), and to lots of restaurants so there was no need to get our car out of valet (22/night). Go for the valet if you go, it's only about 5 extra dollars a night than self parking. The hotel had nice shampoo/conditioners (Neutrogena) and the bathrooms were nice (no vent though). The rooms were a little small, but fine for the two of us. The tv is a bit difficult to see from the bed (maybe this was just how our rom was set up), but it wasn't too big of a deal. I have read some complaints about the bed, but I thought it was great. I wasn't too crazy about the feather pillows, but overall it was cozy. The only issue we had was that we had to wait about 10 minutes for the valet to bring the car up since the front desk wasn't answering their phone when we called them to have it brought up. This was the day before Thanksgiving, so they were probably going nuts. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location, updated decor
  • Disliked — feather pillows
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GKJK
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Stayed during our visited to Indy for the Van Halen concert. Room was nice but had a smoky smell. We found the beds very comfortable however I don't believe they were truly full size..My only complaint was that we had housekeeping knocking at 8:00am!!! I thought we had slept past check out!! Very annoying...We have never had that happen that early in the morning....

Stayed October 2007
Champaign, IL
Reviewed June 9, 2007

I too chose the Hilton Garden Inn because of it's fantastic write-up on Trip Advisor.

The room was extremely clean and comfortable and the staff was extremely pleasant.

However, the beds were the least comfortable of any Garden Inn that I've had the pleasure of staying in.

The breakfast service the next morning was HORRIBLE.

Not only were we not seated for over ten minutes, but after placing our orders for two over-easy eggs, we waited over 40 minutes before one order came. Finally, the second order arrived another 20 minutes later. I had also heard complaints from other people about the wait time on omlets which was reaching 40 minutes.

So, if you stay here, go elsewhere for breakfast.

If you're involved in the HHonors loyalty program and wish to stay in another Hilton family hotel, choose either the Hilton downtown or give the Conrad a look. On a Friday night, the rates are usually similar for a luxury hotel!

• Stayed June 2007
Renton, Washington
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I stay in this hotel for three nights in April 2007. I was pleasantly surprised by its modern amenities (seemed like it was updated recently) and its "soundproofness" for the age of its building. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive. The beds and linens were comfortable, the free wi-fi service and complimentary bottles of water, tea and coffee a blessing. The hotel was centrally located for everything I needed (and I was driving all over Indy on a media and book tour.)

My only complaints about this hotel involve the valet parking/self-serve parking service and the hotel's locale (mainly at night it can be problem). First, the valets weren't always available to take my car and the self parking isn't clearly marked (I actually had to get directions from the valet; this self parking isn't necessarily convenient because of my second complaint.) And similarly, if you asked for your car at a specific time, it wasn't always waiting for you at that time. The hotel is prime Indianapolis real estate but it is located near numerous bail-bonds places. In the evenings, especially, some questionnable characters hang out on the intersections near the hotel (read drunk, disorderly, etc.). Though I was no personally approached--mainly because i didn't walk the streets in the evenings--I did have people approach my car or stumble off curbs into the street in front of my moving vehicle. Fortunately for the neighborhood, law enforcement seems to keep an eye on the area. But if you are a solo traveler, you may want to order room service as opposed to going out after dark by yourself.

• Liked — the bedding and amenities
  • Disliked — the valet parking and its location, esp. at night
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank JLFERG
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 16, 2007

The Hilton Garden Inn is recommended for those traveling downtown. I used public transpotation ($1.50) and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get from the airport to downtown with the bus stop being one block away. Excellent location to catch the bus for an excursion to the Museum of Art. The hotel is less than a block away from Monument Circle. Everything relatively within walking distance, or the city has a Red/Blue Circulator for free or 25 cents a ride.

The hotel is an established older building (the former Fletcher Savings & Trust) with a beautiful Neoclassic style. The rooms are well appointed with high ceilings and the most comfortable bed and pillows I have ever slept on! The Front Staff is pleasant and accomodating. Delicious cookies in the afternoon, and complimentary bottled water are always provided. Very nice Business Center making necessary web access a snap for those who are not bringing a lap-top along.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank lauralei2
Galesburg, IL.
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I booked the Hilton Garden Inn due to it's being the number one ranked hotel in Indianapolis on Tripadvisor. Two other couples stayed there due to my recommendation. Unfortunately we were all disappointed.

We were going to stay two nights at the Hilton Garden Inn, however, my wife could not breathe in the room very well the night we stayed. I don't know what the problem was. It may have been a smoker stayed in the room or someone had a cat in there. I will say the room was large and seemed clean.

The front desk and door man were very helpful. However, the service and food in the restaurant was some of the worst I have experienced.

We moved a couple of blocks west to the Hilton Downtown and were much happier the second night.

• Liked — location and room size
  • Disliked — poor service while dining
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business