“Excellent hotel, decent location”

Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre
Ranked #44 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
uk
“Excellent hotel, decent location”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We arrived earlier than check-in time, but the receptionist happily checked us in. The room was in excellent shape. It was spacious, clean, well decorated, and had a flat screen TV. We had a great view of the stadium across the road. There were no events at the stadium during our stay. There was a coffee machine, with good quality coffee supplied.

The bathroom was spacious, and never steamed up once during showers. Towels were always soft.

We made us of the pool and spa, and these were very good. Well maintained, clean, and with plenty of fresh towels available. The sunbed area outside the pool is small, but got good sun. There is passing traffic nearby, and a view of the energy plant(?), but these did not interfere with our enjoyment of the sun area.

Breakfast was very good, always a variety of options both hot and cold, and always fresh, replenished by helpful staff.

There is wi-fi in the hotel, but it did not extend to our room (3rf floor). The room did have a socket for wired internet, but we did not try it. However, wi-fi worked fine in the lobby and dining area. There is also a computer and printer in the dining area, free for customers to use. There always seemed to be fresh coffee on tap in the dining area, which helped make this area a pleasant place to spend time.

Parking was no problem, but has to be paid for ($10 per day, still cheaper than many places in town, although we did spot one nearby car park that was offering weekday parking for $5 per day on SOME days of the week, but not all days).

The hotel is within walking distance of the centre of downtown, although some people might find it a bit too far to walk to Monument Circle. We found it fine, and also walked to White River Park and the museums and canal.

The lobby has a useful small shop selling all sorts of things such as umbrellas and ready meals (which you could heat up in the microwave in the dining area).

We chose this hotel because it seemed to offer the best balance of price and convenience of location for downtown. We were slightly apprehensive that it might be too far from the centre, but believe now that we made the best choice. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel is very convenietly located right across from the Colts stadium and within walking distance of many attractions. We were excited when we arrived. However that excitment faded when our daughter took out a blanket and found it covered in long hairs. More hairs were found on the bed spread and on the bathroom floor. When confronted the front desk, they said the hotel was full but they would send up someone to sweep. They said it would be an hour because their cleaning person was also their shuttle driver. Several hours later we were still waiting. We once again went to the front desk and was told the cleaning person had left for the evening. They offered us new sheets but said we would have to put them on ourselves. They also made the comment that "Like most hotels, we wash our comforters quarterly"...there is a "comforting" thought!
All in all, the staff did not seem suprised about the issue and really showed no eagerness to set it right. They did provide a slight discount to our bill, but I would have rather paid full price for a clean room!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank stones2125
CityCentreHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Our apologies for your recent stay - it was clearly not up to the standards we expect at the hotel. Following the completion of our hotel renovation earlier this year the entire staff has a renewed sense of pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodations for every guest.

Unfortunately this pride was not extended to you. Thank you for letting us know about your experience as this provides the entire staff with new ways to improve guest service and satisfaction. The staff of the Holiday Inn Express takes guest feedback very seriously and will do whatever it takes to correct our errors.

If there is something else we can do to rectify your recent stay, please do not hesitate to ask! The last thing we want is for a guest to leave the hotel less than happy with their recent stay.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed here for my bachelorette party and loved it! It's a great hotel for friends and casual trips to the city. It's within 10 blocks of the bars, so it would be a cheap cab ride if you couldn't make it back. It's right next to Lucas Oil, so it'd be perfect for games and concerts. The rooms were perfectly clean, staff friendly, parking was more affordable than central downtown garages, and it was quiet and comfortable. I've had great experiences with Holiday Inns in other cities, so it's nice to see they are on the same level in my home city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2009

All I can say is Location, Location, Location. I looked out my second story window and all I could see was Lucas Oil Stadium. If you are attending an event at the stadium or Consenco Fieldhouse you could not make a better choice. Indoor pool, breakfast, hot tub and new parking garage. Parking is $10 per day in either the lot or structure. My studio suite was clean and like new. The place was packed with NCAA fans from the stadium and I never heard a peep from anyone while in my room. I did not come to Indy for the games, I just explored downtown. Great hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Farmington, Utah
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My husband is staying at the hotel for a 5 day convention and has stayed there for the past 2 years for the same event.This morning at breakfast a very nice staff member completely dished his breakfast plate and when they asked if he would like anything else he told them that he was going to grab another plate for his buisness partner. They completely dished him another full plate! He was amazed. He didn't expect to get waited on. Since he would be gone over Valentine's Day I was desperately trying to find him a small gift that he wouldn't have to pack home. I contacted the hotel via email to see if they could help me out. Amazingly the promptly wrote back first thing in the morning. This is what I got,"We would be happy to assist. Please advise what you would like for us to pick up, and I will have someone on my staff take care of this. Regards, Christine Robinson General Manager"
All I can say is wow!
He also says that the beds and pillows are very comfortable. He is an avid business traveler and it it rare to hear him praise a hotel. Way to go HIexpress

• Liked — Amazing staff and comfortable clean rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Hurst
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Very friendly and accommodating when we came to hotel. Because the NFL game was across the street we couldn't check in until after 4pm because so many rooms needed to be cleaned, but they gave us parking pass so we could stay in hotel. Friendly in evening too, but front desk look tired in the morning when we checked out. Which I totally understand. I will be staying again at the hotel when I fly out for another Colts NFL game.

• Liked — Friendly Staff and Great Location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Greater Cleveland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on business and it was booked through Hotwire. It was clean and new. I arrived late at nite to check in to my room and left in the morning. The lobby was pleasant and the breakfast was adequate to get some morning food. The location seemed nice especially for the football games although if you're looking for something near the city circle center, this would not be the place. It was fine though, I was satisfied.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business