“Benjamin Harrison Home”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I want to recommend the Benjamin Harrison Home in Indianapolis. Recently my husband and I went to see this place. We visit many historical homes all over the country but I can say this was one of the best visits we ever had. The guide gave us a wonderful tour. Instead of the usual short visit to each room in the house she gave us the background of the family, shared a wealth of historical information she herself had gathered over her years of working there, and beautifully tied together the interesting events surrounding the time period and the extended family. The home is air-conditioned and very comfortable for a summer visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

It was very interesting to see his home and learn more about his life. The people were friendly and informative.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The tour is about an hour long and cannot enter the house until the tour is about to start, which is every half-hour. The tour guide seems very knowledgeable and very informative, but is a volunteer. I was able to understand what life was like in the late 1800’s. I learned a lot about who President Benjamin Harrison and his family were. There were a lot of original pieces. There is a temporary exhibit on the third floor and I felt rushed looking at that as well as the small gift shop. Other than that the length was good. I would not recommend this for young kids who don’t understand history; everyone should and will enjoy this place.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

This home is a lovely step back in time. The guide was fantastic. Most of the rooms you can actually walk right into. There is a great IN political history museum on the 3rd floor. The garden is lovely. There is a picnic table under the trees -- great for a little lunch.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Great field trip. We had very good guides thru the home. They kept the students engaged.