“I drove to see nothing!!”

Fort Harrison State Park
Ranked #45 of 178 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: This 1700-acre park is chock-full of activities and history, housing a former World War II prisoner-of-war camp. Recreation includes fishing, bicycle trails, walking and jogging trails, horse trail rides and hayrides, picnicking and a nature center. Knowledgeable naturalists answer your questions and offer guided hikes and talks.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think this is the only Indiana State Park I have went to that was a total disappointment. My 3yr. old grandson son said it was "Boring". This seems to be more a city park that has very little to do. We actually spent about 5 min. in the building the consider a Museum.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 16 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I loved that the food was steaming on my plate. Service was very old school even in the banquet setting. It felt calming.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Fort Harrison State Park better than I thought it would be. The city has done a great job transitioning the army base to a state park. My family had brunch at the Garrison restaurant, then checked out the beautiful park. A lot of woodland for a city park.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fort Harrison Park is a beautiful state park, full of various types of trail, including rugged terrain or paved trails, as well as a fairly large hill you can walk or run.

1  Thank J M
See more reviews
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Located right in the middle of Lawrence is this great little park. A relative used to live in the housing addition right across the street for years and yet we have never been here before. Since the spring was so cold, the first Saturday of April was really the first nice day we had. It was rather chilly in the morning so we waited until about 2:00 pm to visit the park. Apparently everyone else in Indy thought the same thing haha.

There was a line a mile long and it was odd that they do not have a drive-up window at the entrance. This poor girl had to walk back and fourth between the building and the cars with money and receipts so it took longer that expected. We waited in line for 16 minutes until we were able to get in. If you have a season pass you can get in on a secondary lane but there were MANY impatient people who either pulled U-turns almost clipping cars to turn around or they FLEW up the right hand side only to find that it was for season pass people only. After we gained entrance, everything was fine from then on.

We parked in the Cherry Tree Picnic Area. There were a ton of families there with children at the little playground area there. I felt very safe parking here since there were so many people. I did read the unfortunate review from the previous contributor so I made sure to take everything with me and we left nothing in the car. While we were walking we saw 3 Lawrence Police vehicles patrolling the area which was very nice and reassuring.

Since we had never been here before we were somewhat lost even though we had a map. From the parking lot we walked to a trail head across the street, went down the lake, and up into the northern most trails. We also hiked as far as we could to the west until it almost reaches Boy Scout Road. We were anxious to see the museum since my boyfriend and I are HUGE history buffs but we were VERY disappointed that it was closed at 4:15 in the afternoon on a Saturday. They are supposed to be open until 6:00 but the sign on the door said closed and it looked empty inside so we left.

We will definitely come back to this park again. I would have given it 5 stars but there were some minor annoyances. This park was packed, and I mean absolutely crowded especially down by the lake. I have never been to a park with that many people concentrated in one area like that before. This is fine and everything, BUT probably half of the visitors were professional looking bicyclists. The bikes are allowed on all the trails and it was a little scary with people zipping through and constantly having to get off the trail and out of the way (I am not sure if the bikes are "allowed" on all the trails or not, but every single trail we were on had bicyclists on them in addition to hikers). And of course groups of children do not always mind the "flow of traffic" with the bikers so you were darting out of the way while trying to be mindful of others. It would be fantastic if the park added more trails (maybe ones for bikes and ones for hiking) or possibly widened the trails to accommodate two lanes of people better.

3  Thank GrayCatVintage