“Very nice museum”

Indiana State Museum
Ranked #17 of 176 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore one of Indianapolis' top attractions The Indiana State Museum in White River State Park in downtown Indianapolis is the place to go to uncover Indiana’s secrets. The museum houses exhibits on science, art, culture and history of Indiana from prehistoric times up to the present day. The museum provides stunning views and architecture, making it a great venue for weddings, special events or meetings. Home to the famous L.S. Ayres Tea Room restaurant, the Indiana Store gift shop, and the IMAX Theater, Indiana’s largest movie screen.
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Lots and Lots of information about Indiana and history . Would have liked a late night open so I could visit after work maybe on a weekly basis

1  Thank nj_hou

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this museum. There was a lot to do and see. Avoid the cafe unless you are super starving or willing to spend a lot of money on overpriced snacks. I am looking forward to visiting again maybe next time we will catch an IMAX showing!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Beautifully laid out museum with lots of interesting displays -- especially liked the Ice Age Giants exhibit and all the fossils and minerals on the lowest level. It is a great combination of science natural history and local Indianapolis culture - and in the Farmers Market cafe, I had the best creamy chicken soup ever - Velvet Chicken - an old recipe from the L.S. Ayres Tea Room! I can't wait to visit again in spring or summer when the park is green and you can see the canal. It was snowing and cold this visit! Indianapolis is greatly revitalized and is a wonderful trip for families or couples. Lots of things to see and do and this is one of them!

1  Thank ellenkay
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We were able to spend about three hours here. Many different exhibits including natural history and Indiana history. There is also an Imax theater in the building (extra cost).

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I've been to the museum several times-both with and without my young son. I am a museum nerd and have always enjoyed this one. Lots of information and interesting things to see. But there's also lots of things for kids. They have great special exhibits. They had a corn exhibit, they had a Titanic exhibit, a James Dean exhibit, a Lord of the Rings exhibit, and a Christmas train exhibit just to name a few. We have seen I-Max movies there as well and always enjoy a nice walk down the canal. I think that part is my son's favorite. But the best visit we ever had to the museum was the Star Wars exhibit. They had things from all six movies, and it was great to introduce my son to those films. Loved it. There's great stuff at the museum every day but they also do a great job bringing in special exhibits throughout the year.

1  Thank DLMJ