“Soon neat items but some opportunities.”

Indiana State Museum
Ranked #22 of 127 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take a journey through Indiana's history, from the age of mastodons and mammoths to 21st century science, art and culture. Families can enjoy hands-on science in our Naturalist's Lab, wind their way through cave replicas in "Frozen Reign," learn real stories about historic Hoosiers in our cultural galleries, and more. The museum features two floors of permanent experiences and one floor of changing galleries. The Indiana State Museum is part of the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites, a statewide museum system with 12 locations.
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Process to get in takes way too long. Parking is very good. Main exhibit items pretty good. Layout of museum fair. Star Wars exhibit very good. Star Wars Millennium Falcon exhibit was a joke for the time you stayed in line. Expected much more for that. Cafe was horrible. Took 52 minutes to get our salad, 2 kids meals and burger. They did the right thing and comp it. But food would not have been worth $46. We would go back but have bought tickets online.

All reviews
"canal walk"
"indiana"
in 192 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We specifically came to the Indiana State Museum for the Star Wars Exhibit. It was on the pricey side: $20 entry fee and another $5 to enter the Millinium Falcon cockpit set up. There were costumes, models, and some hands on learning games (more for the kiddies). There was also a hovercraft machine that you could drive but you couldn't see under it to appreciate the effect. About as exciting as a driving lawn mower. Some of the displays had short films with background information that were interesting. I saw a Star Wars Exhibit in Chicago several years ago that I thought was more extensive. The cockpit experience was pretty tame (espcially when compared to Star Tours at the Disney parks) and my 12 year old nephew was not impressed (though he liked the rest of the exhibit).
While we were there we decided to tour the regular museum exhibits as well. I seemed to remember that I had toured the State Museum before but I couldn't remember anything about it. After this visit I realized why. Although the building is beautiful and the displays well done, the material is pretty dry stuff to work with. There's only so many labeled rocks you can look at. There would occasionally be gems of information that you would come across but you had to slog thorugh a lot of uninteresting stuff to get there. And I always liked studying history.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Made two trips to this museum and I still couldn't take it all in. The Star Wars exhibit was great but there is so much Indiana history to take in that you'd need a whole day to see it all. Will definitely make another trip.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had not been to the State Museum for years. It was a nice time. We went for the Star Wars exhibit, which was very nice, though a little pricey. We were able to walk around the rest of the museum as well. The Lincoln exhibit was very nice as well. Great place to visit while in Indy.