“Was there for a private wedding reception” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indiana State Museum

Indiana State Museum
Ranked #17 of 163 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore one of Indianapolis' top attractions The Indiana State Museum in White River State Park in downtown Indianapolis is the place to go to uncover Indiana’s secrets. The museum houses exhibits on science, art, culture and history of Indiana from prehistoric times up to the present day. The museum provides stunning views and architecture, making it a great venue for weddings, special events or meetings. Home to the famous L.S. Ayres Tea Room restaurant, the Indiana Store gift shop, and the IMAX Theater, Indiana’s largest movie screen.
Indianapolis, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Was there for a private wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

While I did not go to see the museum but rather as a guest for a wedding reception I was blown away with the beauty of this place. From an indoor architecture that made you feel you were outdoors to the spotless cleanliness everywhere and the canal at the rear of the building rivals any river walk I have seen.

Next time I will go for a day and check out the museum but so far I think this is a world class facility. If the exhibits are half as interesting as the facility was impressive it will surely be worth it.

Zephyr Cove, Nevada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“At least it killed two hours”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently visited the Indiana State Museum during a trip where my husband was in meetings and I was on my own. I love museums and Star Wars, so I was excited to be have the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, my visit started off on a wrong note. I bought my ticket online and opted to have it held at will call, hoping to save time standing in line. Wrong. There was a sign for will call next to a woman at the ticket counter. I went up to her, but she informed me that the sign was placed there in mistake and that I would have to go wait in the general line. She failed to remove the sign when I told her it was misleading. I had also brought a coffee into the museum with me. I did not notice the sign posted at the entrance to the first exhibit that stated drinks were not allowed, and the woman who scanned my ticket did not bring it to my attention. I was half way through the exhibit, when a staff member came up to me and told me I would have to leave with my drink. She then escorted me out of the museum and to a trash can. It was embarrassing and completely unnecessary. I could not believe that I had been tracked down and asked to leave when they had let me in in the first place. I made my way back to the exhibit, but honestly, I have never been in a more boring museum. I really can't tell you anything I learned about the state of Indiana except that James Dean was born there. The first floor is comprised of earth history displays which I've seen in many other museums, and the displays on Indiana were very generic and uninteresting. The only part of the museum I found fascinating was the collection on Lincoln because it told their story and had letters and items that had belonged to them.

The Star Wars exhibit was kind of cool, but you would really have to be a fan to pay the extra $10 to see it. Since I didn't have any children with me, I didn't feel the need to do any of the interactive activities, so it took me 20 minutes to see everything.

All-in-all, I felt the museum was a let down and I wouldn't waste my time with it again.

1 Thank Cathy J
Milford, OH
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Star Wars fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My teen and I just had a fun visit to this Museum. We went to explore the special exhibit the Science of Star Wars, which only runs through Sept. 2 We highly recommend this exhibit to Star Wars fans. Many hands-on activities as well as lots of movie props and movie clips. After the exhibit, we toured the museum. One floor is history, another is natural history. Nicely done exhibits. The location is great- you are on the canal, and can walk outside to head downtown for a meal, or hike the urban trails. Parking is in an underground garage. Your Museum ticket gets a much reduced parking rate.

1 Thank GoldieK
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More than a state”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am a volunteer at the museum so I am biased that this is one of the best state museums in the country. It puts the state in the perspective of the entire world and even the universe. Not to be missed is the giant globe on the first floor that is interactive so you can see all the planets or how Indiana was once in the location of Antartica.

The museum holds one of the largest Lincoln collections in the country thanks to the donation from the Lincoln Financial Services which donated their collection when they moved out of state.

There are also frequent exhibits. For example, right now the Star Wars exhibit which is worth the trip wherever you live.

indianapolis, indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fairly interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Newish museum that suffers from a limited budget and not much creativity in bringing in interesting visiting displays. Children's museum beats it hands down. Also contains an outdated IMAX theatre that still used film.