“Great city park for walking”
Review of Eagle Creek Park

Eagle Creek Park
Ranked #18 of 173 things to do in Indianapolis
Fishers, Indiana
302 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 661 helpful votes
“Great city park for walking”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This city park has lots of trails, great for exercise or dog walking.

2 Thank SmokiesJunkie

Indianapolis
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best municipal park in country”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Huge park owned by the city, used to be owned by the Lilly family. Wildlife, birds, huge reservoir, hiking trails. Very special

1 Thank lynnanddave
Indianapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“wonderful nature "earth discovery" center, excellent trails, beautiful water and all only 5 mile from downtown”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Eagle Creek Park has 3900 acres of land and a 1400 acre reservoir making it the fourth largest city park in the country - larger than New York's Central Park.

With ample picnic shelters, 3 playgrounds, Peace Learning Center, Ornithology Center and Earth Discovery Center, and a marina that rents boats and bicycles, the park has many activities.

I especially like taking yoga classes at Peace Learning Center and hiking the trail behind the Ornithology Center that has water on both sides

4 Thank TJNIndianapolis
Bloomington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Doesn't seem very interesting”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Some people were visiting me in Bloomington and I wanted to give them a two day tour of Bloomington and Indianapolis. The Bloomington part went off great. Unfortunately, I've been up to Indianapolis three times to show people around and things tend not to go perfectly. A lot of these "fun spots" turn out to be complete busts. This includes Eagle Creek Park and most of the Cultural Districts. Even Massachusetts Ave, which was completely dead compared to Bloomington's downtown.

We went to Eagle Creek State Park in the middle of summer. We paid $5 to get in and decided to check out the beach and the marina, cause those sounded like they'd be the most interesting spots. We drove through much of the park to get where we wanted to go and it felt like a typical drive through a wooded area which I've had many times before. I expected something special for the marina, maybe some nice ships or a kayaking shop, a pretty view and some nice facilities. I didn't see any of that. In fact, I didn't even see ANY water vessels when I first looked. It took me awhile to spot the two or three old canoes located on the far side. The view was of an ordinary lake, the marina was tiny, the facilities were rather run down and nothing really impressed me. We got in the car and drove to the beach, which was equally bad if not worse. In the middle of the tiny beach we saw a playground with a few kids on it and nobody was swimming. We didn't even get out of the car there. We instead decided to not waste anymore time at Eagle Creek and left.

If you are spending time in Indianapolis, I'd probably stick to The White River State Park/Canal Walk area (which is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of fun), as well as the sports arenas, but other than that I'd be wary of any other "entertainment" you hear about. Indianapolis is frustrating.

7 Thank BShred