Open today: 4:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Review Highlights
Dive of all Dive Bars

I really loved this place. The bartender made me feel like a regular, which is always a plus. The... read more

Reviewed April 11, 2019
MrsStugots
Fort Wayne, Indiana
You'll love this charming dive!

If you're visiting Indy or new to town, this is a great place to stop in. It's a neighborhood bar... read more

Reviewed February 10, 2019
Kay N
Indianapolis, Indiana

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Indianapolis
from $74.11
from $22.00
from $10.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled upon Chatterbox our first night in Indy. What a fantastic live music venue! We loved it so much that we went back the next night. Both jazz bands were fantastic! Fun place!!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

We went on Sunday evening since there was a jazz concert (no cover).

The bar is small and cozy. We had some drinks. As the website says they have a limited, VERY limited menu and we ordered the homemade bites. We had dinner at a different place and our purpose was just enjoy conversation , drink some beers and mainly listen very good jazz musicians.

The Chatterbox Jazz Club is a must for Indianapolis visitors.

We loved it!!!!!!

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Dive Bar jazz club. Perfect location for great live jazz and atmosphere. Went on a Sunday night which is a no cover night. It is a dive, but I say that as a guy that loves going to dives to hear great music. Heard some great straight up jazz. Biggest issue getting there was parking, as it seemed like a busy area. Parked a few blocks away on the street. Maybe locals could give you an easier place to find a spot. It's a Cozy place, casual, was pretty busy with friendly jazz fans and live music that started a little after 8pm. Not many food choices, (the bartender told us they were not a restaurant) but the place had some inexpensive appetizers like nachos, small frozen pizza, popcorn. Was able to use my debit card and ran a tab. I had the Jamaican patties that were very tasty, and had a Guinness on tap. But the real attraction is the music. If you love hearing live jazz in a comfy atmosphere, you will love this place. Come just a little early to get a good seat. Check their website for who is performing as it says live music 7 days a week. Not always easy to find places like this that still support live jazz, so give them your business, and if you go, don't forget to tip the performers and your waitstaff.

Date of experience: January 2017
2  Thank Zigmundmurphy
Reviewed March 15, 2016

I've been coming to the CBox for a few years now. They've got an excellent rotation of musicians that play every night of the week... though I usually make it down for Sophie on Wednesdays because she's just too fun. There's no cover Monday-Thursday which makes it the perfect place to settle in after a long work day. They've got some patio space that I like to hang on in the spring, but the dim lighting and cozy seating makes it a great spot for those cold winter nights, too. Really, you just can't go wrong with the CBox. The staff is pretty friendly, although a few new additions to the normal cast aren't quite as engaging. Still, my favorite bar in the city by far.

Note: this place is a little rough around the edges so if you're looking for a place that's shiny and new, maybe check out a different bar. If you like writing on the wall, mix-match decorations, and bathrooms with questionable locks, this should be your go to. Write something on the bar while you're there... the bartender will give you a sharpie!

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank LFiliatreau
Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

Ok so this place.... How do I say it. It's a dump. But I mean that in the most charming, loving, and respectful way. They have amazing music, great service and attentive bar staff, a cozy and intimate atmosphere, as well as a great patio!
Do not come here for the food, the clean counters, roomy sparkling bathrooms, or the lint free anything. If they let the lint collect some more, after a while I think it just becomes acoustic treatment.
Not to mention, any bona-fide jazz club that's super clean is a bit suspicious in my book. I would come here every weekend regardless!
Still wouldn't hurt to vacuum for the first time in 30 yrs. Just sayin.
If you're reading this and thinking "ehhh... Sounds gross, I'll pass", Don't.
You should go to the Chatterbox and have a fantastic time.

Date of experience: February 2016