“Indianapolis, A city that's got it going on!”

Indiana State Capitol
Ranked #24 of 176 things to do in Indianapolis
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Indianapolis has it all except an ocean & mountain, but with everything that goes on there who needs it!

When visiting Indy there is really no need for a car, if staying in the downtown area you can either walk, or rent a bicycle in one of the many bicycling stations all around town (very affordable and fun). Within the Canal District there are many museums, a wonderful zoo, and a host of restaurants beyond compare.

Indy is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in and the people are warm and helpful. Midwest charm is amazing and I appreciate all the advice I given about what and where to visit!

I am sure you will not be disappointed visiting Indianapolis, there is always something going on day or night!

2  Thank Randy J

Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is a beautiful capitol building inside and out and well worth a visit if you are in Indianapolis. We were a little disappointed that we were not able to take a traditional tour of the building since there were several school groups on field trips that day. There was no one at the tour desk when we arrived, but one of the tour guides working with the school group invited us to join the school tour if we wanted. They had started the tour early for them and they were not going to be giving another traditional tour for another hour and a half. They had brochures for self guided tours, so we ended up doing that instead, as did a few other groups of adults who had also been interested in a tour. The brochure gave enough information to understand what you were looking at, but I'm sure it would've been much better with a guided tour.

The building itself has four floors and is very beautful. I loved the stained glass and statues in the rotunda. We were not able to get into the Senate chamber since we weren't on a guided tour, but there were windows for us to look inside. We couldn't go in the Supreme Court room without a guide either, but the doorway was open and it allowed us to have a pretty good view of the interior of the room.

The capitol is convenient to many hotels, restaurants, and attractions. Even though we didn't get to take a guided tour, I would recommend this to people interested in government and architecture. If you are interested in a guided tour, maybe try a Saturday or perhaps avoid going in May during the week.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I took a foreign visitor here 18 months ago. Even I was amazed at how beautiful it is. I had seen it many times over the years I had lived here, but seeing it through the eyes of a visitor reminded me how easy it is to see wonderful sights in this city.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have lived in Indiana my entire life and marvel at the restoration of this magnificent historic building. Most state offices have been moved to the more modern structures that comprise the Indiana Government Center, but the old Capital Building with its rotunda and amazing architecture always inspires a feeling of a different time.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

As per the usual, state capitols are great buildings which are very interesting to visit. Indiana's State Capitol is about on the same level as Kentucky's state capitol. The outside is magnificent with an original look and some interesting monument. The interior is nice as well. However, compared to other capitols it does skimp on the marble. On the whole, the State Capitol represents Indiana very well and should be visited by those touring Indianapolis or the State of Indiana.

Been to Indiana State Capitol? Share your experiences!