“Great neighborhood place”

SoBro Cafe
Ranked #192 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Reservations
Description: SoBro Cafe wants you to enjoy great tasting, interesting, wonderful food. Our internationally-inspired dishes are healthy and our plates come back to the kitchen clean! We have a range of selections for every taste, from steak eaters to vegetarians and vegans to guests on gluten-free diets. Please see our menu on our website, or call to find out what our dinner specials are, or better yet- come in and experience our food! Chef Jenxie creates all of our food from scratch (except our breads and sweet potato fries) and this includes all our sauces, soups, dressings and even our ketchup. Our dining room is filled with local art- all available for immediate sale, with 100% of the money going directly to the artist. Our staff is also creative, featuring two art gallery curators, two visual artists currently displaying work in Indianapolis, four performing musicians, and a fire spinner.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have visited many times. Have never had anything other than a positive experience. Salmon salad great. Also the chic salad sand. Wine good value. Full pour a rarity these days. Try it!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Ate here on Sunday, May 28. I don't like to wait for brunch, so we chose SoBro because they take reservations. Unfortunately, we got seated at 10:30am even though our reservation was for 10:00. It was kind of a fluke for them because they had empty tables the entire time (and still did when we left at 11:30), but they couldn't seat the five of us. Kind of ruins the idea of having reservations.

Once seated, we found the service cheerful and efficient.

But here's the thing--the food is just ok. Two people had french toast. It's really just thick-sliced bread, no more, no less. You could make better at home and get much better at a dozen restaurants within walking distance. Two of us had a mushroom/egg/potato dish. Also just fine and the spinach in that was fresh. One of us had the vegetarian biscuits and gravy. Also fine, but nothing special.

This restaurant is surrounded by Taste, Zest, Mama Carolla's, Cafe Patachou, etc. Every single one of those is better. True, they don't take reservations. But reservations didn't help us here. (And management was most apologetic, but they made no effort to improve the situation).

I would say SoBro cafe is a good choice if the wait is too long at one of the good places. As there were always empty tables for two all Sunday morning, I'd guess we were not the only ones who felt this way.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

They have a nice crepe menu. I had the "Popeye" with spinach & Swiss cheese which was decent. The "Nutella" made with Nutella & bananas was delish. It's very tiny, but situated on a cute part of the street with some outdoor seating. Our waitress was very friendly & prompt.

1  Thank Kristen M
Reviewed September 10, 2012

First, the food is just fabulous! Everything was fresh and beautifully presented, not to mention delicious! The owner, Helger, visited our table and was charming. The service was prompt and friendly. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank 2wholovetravel
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I've been to SoBro twice. First with a friend for lunch on a Friday afternoon. It was quite busy. We both ordered fish which was a special that day and it was very good. They do not have a deep fryer so I believe it was pan seared. I got broccoli salad and my friend had sweet potato fries. I wished I had gotten the fries too as they were better. I went a few weeks later with my family for brunch. I had the Lebanese Egg Scramble which has mint in it. It was a great new way for me to try eggs as I have never had them prepared with mint. I also had a chai tea which was as expected. Both times it was really busy but the service was still quick. I plan to go back because I still haven't tried their Dutch pancakes yet.

1  Thank AudKat