“Amazing Staff”

Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I bought my Hoosier native husband tickets for IU basketball and the Colts for our one year wedding anniversary. He very much wanted to stay in Downtown and since I am a Hilton Honors Silver member, I went to the Honors website to find a hotel. We wanted to stay at the Conrad, but found an amazing deal at the Hilton for $99 a night with a $25 gas card. We couldn't pass that up. After we had already booked this deal my in-laws from Terre Haute decided they wanted to stay at the same hotel as well, but the deal was no longer available. We got lucky with Hotwire and were able to book another room with rental car for $116 a night. When they checked-in the hotel was all out of double rooms and upgraded them to a huge king suite! Wow!

I went into this knowing that the hotel is a bit older than some other downtown hotels, but was pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms at the hotel. It was true that the rooms could use some updating, but after staying at the Omni two years ago and being completely squished into a room, we were thrilled to have the space. Also, the bed was your typical wonderful, comfy Hilton bed and isn't that really the most important part of a stay? We slept like babies for our three nights. The lobby and restaurant areas were quite nice and seem to have been updated recently, just not sure when they might do the same for the hallways and rooms.

Perhaps the best part of our stay were the extremely friendly and helpful staff that we experienced throughout the hotel. Front desk to housekeeping to restaurant staff, all were wonderful and some of the best that we have experienced in our recent hotel stays. Our waiter at breakfast one morning was especially delightful, even though we all had coupons for free buffet. He refilled everything quickly and brought us any special requests, all with a cheerful and efficient attitude.

Probably the only true negatives I can say about our stay is that the vending machines were out of drinks on almost every floor. My poor husband went floor-to-floor just trying to get water or a diet soda and finally ended up down at the gift shop to get what we needed. Also, when we checked-in late at night and wanted to order off the late night menu, we called room service and the phone just rang and rang. I called down to the front-desk and the poor staff person explained that she was the only person there and would need to heat the food and have security bring it up to the room. To me, if you are offering late night food, then you should have a staff member on hand to prepare and deliver. To make the front-desk person do that and have security deliver seems odd. Finally, the issue about the one tiny trash can in the room played out for us as well. Especially in my in-laws suite, it seemed very strange to have the only trash can be in the bathroom. They needed to have one near the desks in the rooms and in the suites there should be one in the bedroom and the living area. Seems a simple thing to fix.

All-in-all, I still want to stay at the Conrad someday, but when we return to Indy, we will look for good deals at the Hilton.

Dining tip: The breakfast buffet is quite good and The Weber Grill is just a block away and delicious!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed November 6, 2008

Our Girl Scout Council (Southeast Florida) traveled to Indianapolis for the 51st Convention. Like all groups coming in, we were put in a "lottery" for hotels. At first we were disappointed that we were not in one of the hotels that were adjacent to the convention center. But once we arrived, we discovered that all the rooms at the Hilton were suites! Very spaciaous with separate living and sleeping areas, a large bathroom with 2 sinks (one in and one out) and 2 TVs. Everything was always immaculate and the service staff was friendly and helpful - the doorman even helped when a cab company over charged us!

Because of the busy convention schedule we never got a chance to use ammenities such as the indoor pool but the resturants were good (though the drink prices were high.) One thing we missed was a refrigerator in the room.

I would definitely reccommend staying at this fine hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed for seven nights in August. The decor in the lobby and the bedrooms is quite plain, but it's clean and fresh looking.
The lifts were excellent, I never waited more than a couple of seconds for a lift.
The rooms are big and the two basins, one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom was useful. The bed was wonderfully comfortable.
The pool on the top floor was nice, and it was well lit. It would have been nice to have a sun-terrace.
The location is excellant, with shops, restaurants and sightseeing all within walking distance. Most of the buses stop just around the corner, for trips to the Indi racetrack or even the airport.
The housekeeping wasn't very reliable. Our room was never cleaned before late afternoon, they often didn't replace the tea or sugar, one day the bed (and towels) was made up for one person instead of two, and crockery was left in the hallway for days. Even a commode, was left for several hours in the hallway.
One morning I went down to breakfast at 9.10am and was told the buffet breakfast was finished. I said that I had thought it was available until 10.00, and they then said yes I could have the buffet. Someone brought me fruit juice, but then no one came toask if I wanted tea or coffee, no one cleared the plates, and I had to find someone to pay the bill. The following morning I went to breakfast 30 minutes earlier, and even then I had to wait while they relaid a table, as all the tables were made up for lunch! Not very welcoming!
The restaurant serves bar meals during "happy hour" we paid 1.95$ for a cheeseburger and fries, very good value.
This is a good hotel that just needs to pay a little bit more attention to detail.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Twig
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We came in to town to see the Colts home opener in Lucas Oil Stadium and decided to spend the night instead of driving home late. We booked on Hotwire and got a great rate for this hotel. When we arrived the desk clerks were very very cordial and friendly. We arrived around 1pm and we did not even have to ask if they had rooms ready. She put us in a King room the room was very nice and clean. It had a very comfortable bed. It had a very large bathroom. The only bad thing we were in a corner room without any window to the outside. I think we could have asked for a different room but decided it would be ok. The location is really nice right off of the monument circle and close to everything downtown. The new Lucas Oil Stadium is about the farthest thing from this hotel roughly 8-9 blocks. We will book this hotel again. Great Stay.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We had a gift certificate for an overnight stay at the Hilton and, quite frankly, were worried that we'd be treated like second class citizens. On the contray! From the moment we arrived, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Everything about the hotel was clean, efficient and quite lovely -- from the lobby to the room.

Our delux room had a king size bed, fold-out sofa and large desk. It seemed a little weird to have a sink and large lighted mirror beside the bed...but it made it quick for the two of us to get ready in the morning. If you want me to get really nit-picky: the TV is awfully far from the bed but...big deal.

On Saturday night, we ate at the hotel restaurant, the 120 West Market Grill. There were only a few tables occupied and we worried about what to expect. But our meal was delicious (expensive, but delicious). The white chocolate raspberry cheesecake that we took back to the room was fabulous!

The hotel was only two blocks from the Circle Memorial downtown.

Great place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This is a excellent hotel.... Located right downtown in the mix of things. Right by the Circle Mall.....The staff at the hotel made you fell so good you didn't want to go home.... The entire staff go's out their way to make you feel at home..

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I booked my hotel room through Hotwire which saved me $40 vs the hotel site. The hotel is in the heart of downtown which means you have to pay $18 for parking. All the resteraunts and shopping are within walking distance, which was really nice.

Our room was really large, I believe we had a handicap room. The didn't have free wireless internet or breakfast which I thought they could have included.

The pool area wasn't the greatest for a 19 floor hotel. The pool was pretty small and the hot tub was really small. A 6 person hottub for this large hotel was crazy. The exercise room was located one floor below the pool area and it provided current equipment and assortment of tvs.

The hotel wasn't bad for the price, but I would stay somewhere else next time since the pool area wasn't that great.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family