“Great location for event in Convention Center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Indianapolis Marriott Downtown

You added Indianapolis Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 West Maryland Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
50% off your 2nd Night!
Ranked #24 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great location for event in Convention Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

A recent summit at the Convention Center allowed me to stay at the Marriott Indianapolis Downtown. The location was superb as I was able to take the skywalk to the Convention Center, which came in handy one afternoon as there was a big thunderstorm. The rooms are very nice with a very comfortable king bed. Parking is available on-site and allows for unrestricted in and out privileges. Parking was $31/day, which seems high, but probably market for downtown hotels.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The overall service was just horrible. From A thru Z. Front desk people just don't care. Very rude Customer Service personnel. They just don't know how to greet people. I highly recommend that the management team should send their personnel for training.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
James B
Thank you for your recent comments on you stay with us. I am truly sorry that you experience was unsatisfactory during your stay.
We will use your valuable comments to train our staff in their guest service interactions to better serve our guests.
Our goal is for all guests to enjoy their stay and hope that you may be able to give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its location. It is connected via a walk bridge to the convention center. Then from the convention center to a large mall. You never have to go outside in bad weather.
This is a summary of a five night stay. And before I get to the annoyance part let me state that this is a fine hotel and I would return. Kudos to an outstanding concierge "Sandy", an outstanding bell captain "Johnny Law" and the most pleasant front desk crew ever.
We arrived on Saturday. Room the next day (Sunday) at 4 PM had not been made up so we called front desk. Apologies and warm response. Will get someone up there right away. Also we put in a request to have room made up in the morning. Next day (Monday, room not done again at 2:30 PM). Went down to front desk to make sure they knew that someone was in our room. "Yes, so sorry, will put you on a list to have room made up in the morning and will get someone up there right away" (they came 1 hour and 30 minutes later) so room was done at about 4 PM again. Apologies and warm response from both the front desk and the concierge.
On Tuesday to our delight the room was made up at 9 AM, and we found a nice hand written note and bag of candy from the front desk in our room (warm and apologetic). Yeah problem solved!
Guess what it lasted one day! Came back to the room on Wednesday at 1 PM room not made up, so I went back down to the front desk with the nice warm and friendly apology note that we had received the day before and reminded them of their promise to do the room early morning. "So sorry, we will send someone up right away" Room was done about 1:45 PM. That night at about 8 PM under the door came another hand written warm and apologetic note with a $50 gift card to one their in house food facilities. We left early the next morning so we were unable to use it, We returned to the front desk.
So, maybe we were asking too much to have the room made up earlier than late afternoon? But we like to stretch out in the afternoon and relax.
Every one of the staff members we talked with was always understanding and pleasant. But... as the expression goes, "when all is said and done, a lot more gets said then is done"!
Aside from this annoyance, we were pleased with the cleanliness and very impressed with the staff and access to the 18th floor lounge, stocked with snacks, breakfast and evening dessert. Everything in the lounge was excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Location
indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

First, with the good stuff. Loved the service at the hotel restaurant. Good food and drinks. The hotel is clean and nicely appointed. Nice spacious room.

Our one problem with the hotel was with the front desk team. We used a booking service because it was the first limo that came up when I googled the hotel location. We asked for a King room on the booking site. When we got to the room, we was that it was two doubles. My wife called down to the front desk to ask if we could get a King room. The clerk told her that they guarantee A room not any specific type of room and couldn't help. After going back and forth with the associate for a couple of minutes, She asked to speak with someone that is authorized to make a decision like this. The front desk supervisor, Brian got on the line. She explained that we aren't asking for an upgrade or more expensive accomodations. She said that the hotel is dead and we checked on the Mariott website which states that there are currently standard king rooms available. He then told her that he couldn't change our room because they "don't have someone that can come up and move your luggage". (That really happened.) She said that we dont have a lot of luggage and would move it ourselves. He again said he couldn't do it. Someone may take care of us tomorrow if she comes to the desk at 11am and asked. She said that we'd be in meetings all day tomorrow.

I called the customer service line to see if they could help (i mean this is a pretty small and easily fulfilled request). The two said that she would call the hotel and ask if he would reconsider. Brian called us back close to midnight and pretty smugly said, "I know that you called customer service and you aren't getting a King room tonight, you'll get taken care of tomorrow".

Look--its not the end of the world because my wife and I have to sleep in separate here for one night. My issue is that the answer was no the minute the first clerk picked up the phone. The rest of the conversations were mental gymnastics trying to keep the answer no. If your job is hospitality and a completely courteous and reasonable request comes across your desk and the request is not going to cost you anything but an additional moment of effort, do the right thing and take care of the client.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank joe_d_alexander
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Joe_d_alexander
Thank you for your feedback with your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your comments and know that our Front Desk staff have been in contact with you during your stay. I am very happy to see that you have extended your stay by one more night at the hotel and have moved to a King Size Room on our Concierge Floor. We will use your comments during our customer service training to better our service our guests in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Thought the hotel was perfectly located with exceptional cleanliness and friendly staff. Our view was great and the hotel bars were fun! It was really busy with conventions and a dance camp, but the staff could handle the volume. Pool and hot tub could use updating to go with the rest of nice decor in the hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this Marriott for a meeting. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The service was great. I actually ate a meal there and had continental breakfast with the meeting. The food was well done. Nice meeting area.
I found the tub a little elevated and minimally difficult to step over the side and into. Since so many of carry smart phones and tablets I will they would have an available outlet by the bed. I often use my phone as an alarm clock.
Otherwise well done.

Green Features: Has the usual towel replacement policy. I did not have mine replaced for the time I was there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

At a recent conference I was booked at this downtown Marriott. It's reasonably priced and centrally located - all good. My room was a bit dated and I wound up with two double beds after asking for a king, but it was clean. I'm thankful that the guests next door to me were quiet because I could hear everything going on due to the adjoining room doors, which must be very thin. The staff is very friendly and helpful. No morning newspaper.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
MNtravelman
Thank you for staying at the Indianapolis Marriot Downtown during your recent convention in Indy.We appreciate your feedback and apologize that no king size beds were available during the check-in process. I will share your positive feedback with our staff on the friendly service you experienced during your stay.