“Nice hotel, great location”

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #29 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Standard hotel room was comfortable and clean. Only 'disappointment' was that wireless Internet came at a cost of $14.95 per 24 hour time period.

Breakfast buffet was good and offered a good choice of items.

Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here for a 3 day conference, and I didn't come in with high expectations, as I generally don't find conference hotels have very good service. However, I was very pleasantly surprised with the care this hotel provided. Fantastically comfortable beds, very friendly and helpful desk staff, and overall just a very nice experience. It takes quite a bit for me to give a hotel 5 stars, but this one earned it. I'd happily stay here again, even for personal travel, when I usually prefer to stay in suite hotels.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 14th floor facing the capitol, which was a pretty view.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

When traveling for business or pleasure, I usually book a hotel in the Marriott family. Springhill Suites are outstanding, I expect a certain quality when I book a room with Marriott...and was sorely disappointed with this property.

I understand well used rooms as long as they are clean and safe. This hotel is clean and security is visible.

It is the attitude of the staff that makes the difference and how they interact with the public. Perhaps it was a bad day.

Why in one facility internet is provided for elite members (regardless of the level) and not here? In this day and age, Internet is as important as running water. How can a hotel issue keys to rooms and not know the locks are broken and can not read the code? How can the wake up call system be broken...can it not be checked?

Maybe the Marriott chain needs to re-examine its policies, my loyality to the brand has just expired.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time in providing us valuable feedback in regards to your stay.
I apologize for the interactions you had with our staff and I will use your valuable comments as a learning on how to better improve our service. We will review your guestroom lock & wakeup call issue you experienced to ensure that these issues don’t happen again with any other future guest.

With regards to providing complementary internet, we do provide Gold and Platinum Members complementary access as part of the Elite Benefits Standards for all Full Service Marriott Hotel Brands. My apologies if you were charged for internet and if you are able to contact me, I would be more than happy to refund you.

Thank you again for selecting our hotel and I hope that we would be able to service you in the very near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Marriott for a conference I attended. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly and the room was spacious and clean. Special kudos to Katie at the front desk for having the staff sign a welcome card for my 8 year old daughter and sending it up to our room with some goodies. Having a Starbucks in house made my morning that much better and the pool and hot tub were enjoyed by the entire family. The location was convenient for my family to enjoy the city while I was at the conference. I have stayed at many hotels for conferences and this was one of the few where the hotel staff and accommodations actually enhanced the conference experience. Overall, a great trip and we felt it well worth our time and money.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Check-in was fine and the staff was super friendly. The hotel in general was clean and in a great location downtown for anything you might have planned. There is a decent bar and restaurant on site and was pretty happening the weekend I was there. When I got to my room the floors were still wet from having the carpet cleaned. I communicated this to the hotel after I checked out, as the rooms smelled musty and my socks were wet. They got right back to me via email and apologized. This was not a huge deal to me since I was only using the room to sleep in and not really hanging out.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Got a room on the 18th floor, right next to a closet used by employees. All night long someone was going in and out . I have traveled all over, and I was appalled at the 35.00 valet. This is Indianapolis, not New York or Chicago. When we arrived the valet told us,the hotel parking garage was full, and we could use the valet or park some place down the street. Girl at desk told us, that were lucky that they still had a room. Since they were full. What kind of crap is that. Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay or park here. Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for your staying with us during your recent visit to Indianapolis. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the valet prices and sorry that you had challenges with parking and noise during your stay. Additionally, I use your Front Desk experience and work with our Front Office Manager to ensure a better experience in the future for all our guests as your interaction with our staff is not the norm for us.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here for a recent long weekend (Fri-Sun nights). We arrived on Valentine's Day and my husband had arranged for flowers to be in the room when we arrived. That didn't happen, but the flowers were found and delivered while we were in the bar, along with complimentary wine and chocolate, which was nice.

The staff was very helpful and friendly wherever we went. We had a family package which included a free breakfast buffet for 2 adults and one child each morning, and a free pizza dinner one of the nights. They very considerately allowed our teen to eat the breakfast for free also. The beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows (a rare thing in a hotel, IMO!). We were in room 329, which was great for access to the pool and gym, but had a view of a wall, which wasn't very picturesque. The room was fairly quiet, except for the idiots knocking on our door at 1am on Friday, but that could happen anywhere. (We did bring our white noise machine and I'm sure that helped).

The only drawbacks were:
no free wifi in the rooms (only in the lobby area). Seriously? Even the cheapest motels we've stayed in have had free wifi
no fan in the bathroom
Ridiculous daily cost to park (which I suppose is standard in any large city downtown hotel, but still *ouch!*)
The pool and hot tub area need major updating. The pool and hot tub looked rusty and worn.

The location was good. We were able to walk to most of what we wanted to see (capitol, war memorial, several museums, NCAA Hall). There must have been a couple of big events on Saturday, because the lobby on Sunday morning looked like a convention floor, the line at Starbucks was about 50 people long, and the wait for an elevator was so long we gave up and sought out the stairs. The gym was fine, and not crowded any of the three mornings I used it.

We'd defnintely stay here again.

Room Tip: The third floor was great to have access to the pool and gym, but the view was of a stone wall. Choo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with over the Valentine Weekend.

I’m glad to see that you had a very positive experience with our staff as you mentioned that that they were helpful and friendly. I apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay and will review this with our overnight team to better patrol our hallways after hours to ensure our future guests will not experience this issue.

Our hotel is fortunate to be located downtown where we are close to many of the Indy attractions in which you had listed and it becomes a major attraction for conventions to take place here at the hotel which is what you experienced during your weekend with us.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.