“Nice but getting a bit outdated”

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #26 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed December 16, 2013

First time in Indianapolis. Big Ten Championship weekend there to attend the game. Unfortunately waited too long to look for a hotel and just about everything else in the entire town was sold out. Marriott offered a two night special at an extremely inflated rate. We took it due to his excellent location to Lucas Oil Stadium. It is connected throught a series of walkways to the convention center(right across the screet) and then on to the stadium. The hotel was a typical downtown style hotel. It has been around for a few years and it shows it age. Despite the crowds in the lobby due to the Ohio State team staying at the hotel check in went very smoothly. The room was suppose to be on one of the "high" concierge floors due to the availability and high price. We ended up on the 10th floor (19 I beleive in total). Room had double beds, chair, TV, refrigerator and not much else. Pretty tight on space. Typical hotel room. Beds were comfortable. Had problems with the heat and it was an extremely cold night outside. Continued to blow cold air out no matter how high it was set. Called the desk and the sent someone from Engineering up. Not too long of a wait. He had to take the panel off and make some adjustments. Worked fine after that. Bathroom was outdated but clean. Not good lighting. Shower head left something to be desired. Overall the room was OK but definately not worth the amount we were charged. Ate at the Champions Sports Bar in the hotel. Food was OK but pricey. Oh yes $35 parking fee charged nightly. To us it was an average stay, nothing really bad but for the extremely high amount charged expected much more on the concierge floors.. Would probably stay at the JW Marriott which is just a block away if I went there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kersch8
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a survey.

I am happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience was very good. I am sorry that you experienced was not excellent. I have reviewed your comments with my operational team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you come to Indianapolis.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I rate all my stays at a hotel on a five-point scale (1= terrible, 3=what I’d expect, 5=exceptional) in the following categories. Unless otherwise noted, I’m looking for a comfortable, clean night’s sleep. I care little about free breakfast, gyms, and pools.

I stay at this hotel quite a bit, and used to think it was really good until I stayed at the Courtyard down the street this week. THAT will be my new go to hotel in Indy.

Fast check-in: 3
Overall room cleanliness: 3
Ability to control room temperature: 2
Softness of bath towels: 3
Comfort of bed/pillows: 3
Technology (good Wifi, accessible outlets, etc.): 3

Other notes on this hotel:
I was surprised that this location doesn't offer free WiFi, even for a Silver Rewards member. Also, I'm 6'1" and the shower heads are way too low.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank chrisserger

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We attend an annual conference so we stay at a lot of big hotels. This Marriott was the best host so far. All our last minute needs were accommodated. Special thanks to the conf coordinator, Caitlyn, who took all the stress away a worked out resolutions that were beyond our expectations before we even got there. When we got there, a happy and relaxed valet attendant came over to us and greeted us again in a very relaxed way. The valet service was a delight to work with for the week, always prompt, courtesous and happy. Our bell hop, Celeste, took us to our room and was the one to see us out. Both times such a pleasure and it was nice that she remembered us. The housekeeping staff did a nice job and Robert was so prompt in seeing to our special requests were addressed right away. Our good experiences were prepared for by the corporate customer service rep., Kim, when our initial call of needing an extra adjoining room was needed at the last minute. I did not think being referred to a remote office was going to do anything but boy was I wrong!

Room Tip: The elevators are the fastest on the planet so no problems being on top floors, nice views of he cit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a survey.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience was excellent! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Rather than traveling to Chicago, we chose our hometown for our girls' night out. We stayed at the Marriott and what fun we had. All the staff made us feel like their special guests. The valets were helpful and welcoming. The front desk warmly welcomed us and made sure we had joining room. We never passed staff (even in the elevator) that they didn't ask " how is your stay and can I do anything for you." Our rooms were beautifully appointed. What fun to see our city from the great view out our window. For travelers from afar or residents of Indy, we highly recommend the Marriott for a great night in Indy.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Excellent location for the convention center and Lucas Oil Stadium. For conferences, the meeting rooms are easy to find, confined to two floors, and the tech ran smoothly. The room we had was clean and modern with a larger than usual fridge. Conveniently, there is a Starbucks in the lobby (though I heard from more than one person that the coffee was weaker than at other Starbucks, which sort of negates the advantage of standardization associated with a chain place). Unfortunately, there aren't really good restaurants within walking distance, but you can walk a few blocks to Panera's if the line at Starbucks in the lobby is too long. The hotel restaurant is pretty good with typical hotel restaurant prices. We did not try the sports bar. I think the one downside is that they charge $30/day for parking at the hotel. There is a parking garage right across the street serving the convention center, but the prices were not shown outside, so I can't help with that. The elevators arrived with good speed, and there is a sign by them in the lobby that says quiet time starts at 9:30. All in all, it was an excellent conference hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Staff at check-in could have been friendlier but they were otherwise nice. I stayed with work for a conference. The rooms for the conference were a bit on the small side. The hotel rooms were really nice, good showers and beds, and clean. The food at the conference was lacking in quality but that's not surprising.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My friend, her daughter, my daughter and I were in town for a marching band competition. I am usually nervous booking hotels online, but as soon as I walked into the lobby I knew I made a great choice. The wait to check in was minimal and on a Saturday! Our room was ready 3 hours early and our requests that we made online were taken care of. We even asked to be in rooms near each other and when they realized we were on different floors both people checking us in worked together and got us right across the hall from each other. The room was very clean and the beds were extra comfortable. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. The valet guys were awesome, sorry I can't remember all the names, but I remember Sean. My only regret was that we were only in town for one night. I'll be staying here next time I come to Indianapolis.

• Stayed: November 2013