“So special”

Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Michigan
“So special”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

spend two days at the downtown Marriott in Indianapolis for our 29th anniversary and couldn't have been happier! wonderfully warm and friendly people, extremely clean and nice little perks in a king size room---who gets a nice white rug in the bathroom? linens turned down at night with chocolates--amazing stay. everyone talked and asked how we were enjoying our stay! wonderful time and great location to all of the downtown fun!

Room Tip: we overlooked the government buildings and it was amazing at night--all the rooms overlook something...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Indy Marriott Downtown and for taking the time to complete an online survey! We appreciate the nice comments and I am happy that you enjoyed your experience.

I am glad you chose our hotel to celebrate your special occasion! Also, thanks for the comment about our excellent staff service that we provided you during your visit. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Indianapolis.

Phil Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here for a two day business trip. Gold status. Fantastic concierge floor. It made the slight problem in the room a non-issue. Bathroom generous in size. I was on the 17th floor. Meeting rooms good. Snacks for meeting also nice. Generous portions. Location easy for taxis and walking to nice restaurants at night. Will stay again....at the end of the month actually.

Room Tip: elevators a little slow
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

I am glad you enjoyed the concierge floor and amenities. Also, thanks for the comment about our excellent staff service that we provided you during your visit. We hope to see you again later this month.

Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is truly in the middle of downtown. I walked .5 block to a minor league baseball game. I walked 2 blocks in the other direction to the mall. I was there during game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals. It's walking distance to Lucas Oil Stadium also. The Marriott lived up to the standards of other full-service Marriotts, but it is not exceptional. There was no "WOW" factor to the hotel. My room overlooked the state capitol building. The chef for breakfast this morning (6/7/13) was phenomenal. He made blueberry pancakes for the chef's special and they were delicious. He also prepared an omelette for me that was great. HOWEVER, when I went to get some jam I noticed a bunch of little flies all over the donuts (Photo attached). Maybe they should consider covering covering the breads because it made me lose my appetite. Other than that, the staff was impressive from the valet, to the front desk. There is a also sports bar (Champions) on location. I requested a late check-out (Noon) and was granted it. However, I did not get to enjoy the additional rest because housekeeping knocked on my door 3 times between 8:30 am and 11:45am.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Indy Marriott Downtown and for taking the time to complete an online survey! We appreciate the comments and I am happy that you overall enjoyed your experience.

I am sorry that you encountered a fly issue with the donuts on the buffet. I understand this negatively impacted what was up to that point a great experience. Also, thanks for the comment about our excellent staff service that we provided you during your visit. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Indianapolis.

Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Saturday night stay via Priceline to attend the Indy Wine Festival. As typical for a downtown hotel we had the usual expenses ..$35 for valet parking and tips for valet and bell service. No free Internet and of course no complimentary breakfast but was as we expected. We did have an excellent breakfast buffet at the City Market Grill ( located within the hotel). Breakfast was $16.95 each and worth every penny. Only problems we encountered at the hotel were the climate control (had thermostat set at 62 and was still very stuffy in the room) and lack of a functioning exhaust system in the bathroom. We also commented that the towels were very rough to the touch. I would normally not point these things out but this is a 4 star luxury hotel and guess we expect more than we normally would. Had we not booked a very good rate at Priceline I would have been disappointed but as it was ...a very nice stay for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete a review of your experience. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again the next time you come to Indianapolis.

Alabama
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The first and most important thing to mention about this hotel is location. It has an ideal location, near the convention center, and downtown attractions. Being connected to the skywalk, as well as a secondary garage (open for overnight parking on weekends only, but with a lower price than the hotel's own garage) was a huge benefit.

We stayed here for one night for a convention. Was able to use a blind booking site to get a really good deal for two rooms, 5 people total. Check-In was fast and easy, with the special room requests met, including same floor rooms despite different room types.

The room itself was great, with only one minor inconvenience. I am only about 5' 9" and found the shower head to be a little low. I can only imagine how annoying it woul due for someone over 6' tall. Nice touch in the shower though, which also saves the hotel money, is the liquid shampoo, soap, and conditioner dispensers. I have only seen that once before in a hotel, up in Canada at an Aloft property that was new. The room itself was very comfortable, with very comfortable bed(s) and pillows. Bathroom was also well appointed. Comfort was everything one would expect from a Marriott.

One other little detail I liked was the tv had an LG remote, so that settings could be changed if needed. Too many hotels use Lodgenet remotes for their flat screens, which don't allow you to adjust aspect ratio on analog channels.

Hotel amenities were wonderful as well. There was a reception on the afternoon we checked in for people at the trade show we were visiting. We were led to believe it was just drinks and snacks/appetizers, but the food was plentiful enough to become our dinner for the night. Food was wonderful, with a variety of choices, and great service! Nice workout room with complimentary earbuds, and apples! Also a nice little pool (which I did not use).

One reason I did not give this hotel a higher rating is my brother's experience wasn't as good. In his room, the conditioner was empty, and the HVAC didn't work correctly. The attitude at the front desk when my brother brought it to their attention was ok, but below what I would expect for a Marriott. The overall tone was not as enthusiatic and apologetic as i would have expected. However, we did get complimentary Starbucks due to an in-room coffee issue my brother had as well.

Overall, two rooms with two very different experiences. This hotel did the little things (which are hard to explain) that Marriott is known for, and provided great service throughout most of our visit. I would say this hotel is very good, with the potential to be great!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel and our amenities. I am sorry that your brother's experience had a couple of issues and our recovery was not better. I will share your comments with my team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Arlington, Tennessee
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just spent the week in Indianapolis for the Annual American College of Sports Medicine Meeting. Stayed at the Downtown Marriott. First the accommodations were excellent. Location to the convention center and downtown was optimal. Parked out car and never drove again until we left. Norma at the front desk greeted us with an enthusiastic tone and great smile. Felt welcome from the get go. Had a small billing problem identified at check out which was quickly taken care of without hesitation. Was a great experience and a we plan on staying here again in the future. Would highly recommend if staying in Indianapolis that you stay at the Downtown Marriott.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

It sounds like you enjoyed the American College of Sports Medicine conference and our hotel location here in Indy. I am happy Norma did a nice job during your arrival!

SF, CA USA
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed one Saturday night (5/18) to attend the annual Mecum Indianapolis classic car auction that weekend. The Indy 500 qualifying was also happening that week/weekend so room availablity for hotels in the area was tight. Arrived from the redeye flight and was hoping to check-in early. Friendly front desk staff had a room ready, so we had a chance to freshen up before heading to the auction.

About a week prior, I reserved the lowest-priced double std room available for that day. Our 9th floor room faced the south side, toward the convention center. Room was good-sized with comfortable bed/bedding, newer furnishings, large LCD tv with variety of HD channels, and typical big hotel bath amenities.

Hotel is located next to the convention center and Victory field, and easy walk to downtown and Monument Circle. Access to I-70 (either east or westbound) is easy. For visual reference, look for the very tall JW Marriott, and the Marriott is one block east on W. Maryland St.

We didn't partake in any of the other hotel amenities (pool, bar, restaurant, etc), but did purchase some refreshments in the in-lobby Starbucks. Plenty of underground self-parking during the weekend at a $30/day rate. The electronic room card key is used for entry/exit. So keep one room key after checkout to exit. There is a box at the exit to drop off the key when the gate opens. There was no "resort" fee. In-room wifi was included.

There are plenty of big chain hotels to select from in the downtown area, and this hotel was good value given the location and availability.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

It sounds like you enjoyed the weekend and our hotel location. I am happy we could accommodate your early check in too.